• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bath time

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
Can anyone suggest ways I can introduce my Parrotlet to bathing? I tried the sink with a half inch of tepid water but she got frightened. So far anything other than her cage water container seems upsetting. I have heard of people misting birds with a plant sprayer, but that seems like it might be frightening too. I don't want to make her anxious about water.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
When misting a bird, it is best to spray into the air above the bird and let the mist fall down onto the bird, at least until he or she becomes comfortable with it.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Misting is a really good way to go or a very shallow dish like a plate almost just out in the area when a little bit of water. Let her check it out and see if she wants to give it a try.

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
I tried a shallow bowl with a half inch of room temp water, she happily sat on the edge and watched me dabble my fingers, but closer contact with the water didn't seem to appeal to her... I will try again with a shallower container, maybe try misting...( I haven't kept a plant sprayer around since my cats were kittens... They might enjoy seeing the bird get misted)
Thanks for your suggestions!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I mist Gigi with lukewarm water with a spray bottle, lightly over her. If I give her too frequent mistings she is only mildly enthusiastic. If the mistings are about twice a week she goes nuts. She is on a portable perch in the bathroom and as I mist she gets flatter and flatter with wings out. She rolls to each side for me to spray her belly and under her wings. I need a video. It's too cute.

IMG_5166 3.JPG

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Waffle likes bathing in her water dish too and at this point I just let her do it if it makes her happy. She also enjoys a misting (I use Avi-Vera to help with her molting itchies) as long as I spray it from high up so it just mists down on her. Otherwise she gets scared. She has zero interest in pie pans or anything like that. Sometimes she will try jumping in the kitchen sink.
She also enjoys being in the shower with me. Lately, because she is reverting back to being a velcro bird, she'll stand on my head until she gets the nerve up to jump down to the bottom of the tub and enjoy the shower spray from there. :)

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Mine only likes bathing in a bowl or something with an edge that she can perch on and move around. Sink wasn't a success for me either. And she really liked it when I used my fingers to splash and make noise. Try doing a little splashing!

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
Thanks everyone, this is an awesome forum, I really appreciate the advice, thanks!