1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Barbets

Discussion in 'Softbill Circle' started by snada, 3/26/18.

1. snada

snada Strolling the yard Avenue Veteran

Sarah
    Is there anyone here that has any Barbets as pets?

2. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Never heard of them,,had to look them up..what beautiful little birds!

snada and Sarahmoluccan like this.
  3. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    There are several species kept in the United States, but they are kept as aviary birds, not usually as pets.

4. Sarahmoluccan

Sarahmoluccan Rollerblading along the road Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award SuperHero

Sarah
    Same here. They are quite stunning little birds!!

5. snada

snada Strolling the yard Avenue Veteran

Sarah
    I volunteer at a rehabilitation center in South Africa and I get a lot of tame birds in from the public who have raised the bird from a baby and then hands over this very tame bird as an adult. A Barbet was dropped off with me a month ago and is a very tame adult so he now becomes unreleasable. I was just wondering if there was anyone here that ever had them as pets. The little guy will be staying with me otherwise he will have to be put to sleep as he will not survive in the wild. This little guy is a White eared Barbet.

finchly, Birdbabe and Sarahmoluccan like this.
  6. Dartman

Dartman Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Terry
    We raised a female house finch that was a tiny barely feathered baby from a crow on our roof. She bonded with us and loved us in her own way. She sang the songs of her people, hung out on my hat or mouse hand and slept, and stole our food and drink. She loved baths in any water container we held up and loved her toys and was just plain happy. I think if your Lil guy is already imprinted and likes people he'd be very happy with you and be a tiny fun addition to your flock.

MommyBird, snada and Birdbabe like this.
  7. Amy Pierce

Amy Pierce Sprinting down the street

Amy Pierce
    I have a Black-collared Barbet with a bad wing that I've had since he was about 2 weeks old. Could never release him which made me quite sad :( But rather a healthy life in captivity with plenty of enrichment than a few days of survival in the wild

finchly likes this.
  8. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Vendor

Tanya
    @Amy Pierce you have the best birds!

@snada here’s an article about them. I was thinking there is a forum member who has them, maybe not.

snada likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)