• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bar spacing for a white capped pionus?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm on the hunt for a larger cage for my beautiful new baby WCP, and found this one on Kijiji. It's 32Wx24D with what looks like 1" bar spacing. Would that be too wide for a white capped? Most of the threads I found regarding bar spacing for pionus were for the larger species like maxis, so I'm not sure.

(Also here's a picture of the new baby. Because I am completely in love and need to show her off to the whole world. :swoon:)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know someone who has hers in a Avian Adventures Mediana, which is 7/8" bar spacing but really thick bars. The cage you shared is similar dimensions and design.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know someone who has hers in a Avian Adventures Mediana, which is 7/8" bar spacing but really thick bars. The cage you shared is similar dimensions and design.
So she should be alright with 1" then? And do you think the dimensions of the cage itself are big enough?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Adorable! ♥♥♥
And don't forgot to post more pics and info under: Pionus Pointe.

I don't know about that bar spacing, but @Maxsmom and @finchly will. Is 32" the biggest they have?
I have 1'' to my Maxis.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I have 5/8 spacing. IMO necessary for my wcp but not my maxi. I think I have 32 inch

32 x 24 is smallest size I recommend. They need room to be active and stimulated....and therefore healthy

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I went to check out the cage and wound up buying it the other day; the bars are very thick and so the spacing doesn't seem as dramatic, but if it does look too wide when I put her in I'll sell it and go on the hunt again.

As for disinfecting it, do you think there's any real likelihood of nasties like PBFD lingering? I don't know this cage's history so I'm a little paranoid. Should I just go whole hog and splurge on some F10, or would a bleach dilution be enough?

Thanks guys!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think most germs only live 72 hours? Am I right on this guys?

We bleach our cages and leave them to dry in the sun. Check the legs -- I've had 2 friends now purchase cages that had cockroach nests up in the legs!!! :omg:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think most germs only live 72 hours? Am I right on this guys?
We bleach our cages and leave them to dry in the sun. Check the legs -- I've had 2 friends now purchase cages that had cockroach nests up in the legs!!! :omg:
That is the most horrifying thing I've ever heard, oh my god. I've never seen a cockroach in my life and I pray I never do. Yikes!
(Though I guess if a family of roaches did move in, I could just...feed them to my skink :laugh:).

I actually just discovered that a reptile shop not far from my house sells F10 for only $28 for 100ml, which is crazy. The only place I've ever seen it available in Canada is on Amazon for $104. I may as well buy it just to have it, and that way I can be sure to kill anything that may be lurking in the nooks and crannies. Better safe than sorry!

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
F10 or other pet safe disenfectant should be used

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award