• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Banding (fitting closed ring on) Eclectus chicks

Rukaruko

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Richard
Hi everyone!

This thread is meant to all Eclectus breeders who raise parent-reared Eclectus chicks.

I have an Eclectus chick that is being raised by its parents. I will not be hand-feeding it myself (pull it out of the nest) for as long as the parents continue to do their job. I would like to band the chick (fit closed ring) but the female has become very aggressive towards me whenever I put my hand in the nest box. Last Saturday I went to remove the second egg from the nest (it didn't hatch as it was clear) and she literally jumped from the entrance hole straight onto my hand to attack me. Luckily I managed to avoid being bitten. Two questions:

1. Would you consider trying to block the entrance hole until I fit the chick with the closed ring (so that she won't be able to climb/jump down the nest box), or would she abandon the nest if I do that?
2. Second and most crucial question: if I do manage to fit the chick with a closed ring, would the female try to remove it and possibly harm the chick in the process?

Any advice please?

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I would try to contact some eclectus breeders instead of asking here. Laurella Desborough or David Skidmore (austral eclectus is the name of his aviary) should be able to answer your question

Rukaruko

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Richard
Thank you Milo. David just informed me that it is very likely that the parents would chew off the leg to remove the leg band. OMG! I will definitely not band the chick! Chip or open ring (once weaned) would be a much safer option.