• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bandage change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, I was able to wrap Java's foot after applying some coconut oil on it. He hated the entire ordeal but I got it done and gave him lots of treats. My question is: how often should I change the adhesive gauze? Even if he hates it, I'll probably have his foot wrapped for about two weeks or longer until the redness is gone. I'll be taking him to a new vet next month in hopes of finding one that is ideal for us. He seems a little stressed right now, panting a little, so if I can avoid this with bandage changes, that would be better. So, how often should I change his bandage? And can you give me any advice so the next dressing isn't as stressful?
20180616_152528.jpg this picture was taken yesterday

Last edited:

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Well, I was able to wrap Java's foot after applying some coconut oil on it. He hated the entire ordeal but I got it done and gave him lots of treats. My question is: how often should I change the adhesive gauze? Even if he hates it, I'll probably have his foot wrapped for about two weeks or longer until the redness is gone. I'll be taking him to a new vet next month in hopes of finding one that is ideal for us. He seems a little stressed right now, panting a little, so if I can avoid this with bandage changes, that would be better. So, how often should I change his bandage? And can you give me any advice so the next dressing isn't as stressful?
View attachment 279559 this picture was taken yesterday
Change when soiled, obviously. But then I'd say every other to every 3 days. Hopefully someone else can weigh in.
Also, be sure he's getting enough vitamin a, e, and c, biotin, calcium, and D3. Fingers crossed it gets better asap!

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
Also, is it something a vet could treat with laser therapy? I really have no idea, just tossing the thought out there. They used laser therapy on a large wound on my nanday after his dog bite and it helped to heal faster.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Change when soiled, obviously. But then I'd say every other to every 3 days. Hopefully someone else can weigh in.
Also, be sure he's getting enough vitamin a, e, and c, biotin, calcium, and D3. Fingers crossed it gets better asap!
He gets red palm oil, leafy greens, amaranth, quinoa, carrots, butternut squash, lentils, red, yellow and orange bell peppers, carrot tops, and Harrison's High Potency every few days. Would laser therapy burn off the redness? How would that work?
EDIT: I also have a Featherbrite light that I use everyday from 8 am to 3 pm.

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
He gets red palm oil, leafy greens, amaranth, quinoa, carrots, butternut squash, lentils, red, yellow and orange bell peppers, carrot tops, and Harrison's High Potency every few days. Would laser therapy burn off the redness? How would that work?
EDIT: I also have a Featherbrite light that I use everyday from 8 am to 3 pm.
They did a cold laser therapy. I can check the invoice when I get done work (might be at 8pm though). To be honest, I'm not positive how it works but the vet recommended it. I just wanted to do anything to get the collar off faster, so we agreed to it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Java ripped off the bandage as I was putting him to bed. Is there a way to combat this? :sour::shifty:

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
Java ripped off the bandage as I was putting him to bed. Is there a way to combat this? :sour::shifty:
The only thing I can think of is a collar, and if you don't have to do one, don't. It makes them agitated and getting around is really difficult. I was so thankful to get ours off after 16 days

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
That is pretty normal ripping off the bandage. You could try a cone, but because he is missing a leg, it might jack up his balance. Talk to vet about it

Status
Not open for further replies.