• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Balsa Wood for Shredding

aviumcaelum

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrew
Hi all,

Do any of you use balsa wood for shredding? If so, where is a good place to buy it in bulk for fairly cheap. One of my conures likes to chew nearly everything--wood included. (And I'd rather he chew balsa than my kitchen's baseboards and the outside framing of his aviary.) I already give him yucca chips, paper cups, and toliet paper shredders. He cycles through all of them as his favorite periodically. Any other ideas for shredding toys?

Thanks,
Andrew

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Oh yes my green cheek conure and budgies love balsa! It's about the only wood they'll chew :)
I'm not sure where to get it for cheap, but a lot of the vendors here sell it so you could try to shop around for some :D

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I buy my balsa in bulk most of the time from Balsa Wood - Balsa Wood Products, Birch Plywood and Lite Plywood. Keep an eye out for their balsa salad or parrot salad...can't remember what they call it. They get a crazy amount of odds and end cut offs that you just stick on a skewer or paper rope. My conures favorite toys ever. I don't even try to make it attractive as they love it as is.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I buy my balsa in bulk most of the time from Balsa Wood - Balsa Wood Products, Birch Plywood and Lite Plywood. Keep an eye out for their balsa salad or parrot salad...can't remember what they call it. They get a crazy amount of odds and end cut offs that you just stick on a skewer or paper rope. My conures favorite toys ever. I don't even try to make it attractive as they love it as is.
I looked up the salad and that's very reasonably price and looks like it would be a great purchase. Not in stock right now though. I noticed that they also carry basswood.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I looked up the salad and that's very reasonably price and looks like it would be a great purchase. Not in stock right now though. I noticed that they also carry basswood.
Might be someone bought like five bundles of it the last time it was in....:o:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If he likes your baseboards, maybe try some pine. Usually cheaper than balsa and lasts a little longer. Clearly he's up to the challenge!

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
I buy it in bulk on amazon. But there's a place online where you can buy bulk "flawed" and scrap woods like balsa. Let me see if I can scrounge up the link.

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
Two days later, the link surfaces. :hehe:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
They are a nice family owned business..

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
I definitely need to visit these sites, Phoebe needs a good supply of Balsa.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Thanks for posting all these sites. My one GCC loves balsa wood, and balsa toys around here at hard to come by.