• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ball pythons (pictures - don't look if you're a wuss)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaBirdMom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janet
Love those 'butter' balls, LOL...really great quality snakes! Just beautiful!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Wow, they are stunning!

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
shadera they are beautiful. And wuss got me to look too. Hahaha i love all their bright colors as well as the albino. Hug's barb and isis

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
They really are all pretty cool! I used to have a Rosy Boa a few years ago. Wouldnt mind another snake some day.

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
They're positively gorgeous!! :D I looove snakes, i just think they're fascinating. Gotta wait till i move out before i can get one though, mum is terrified of them.

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
Your ball pythons are just beautiful.

I had a reticulated python once, 20 years back. Some of my contractor guys caught a baby, about 2 feet long, and it was going to the cooking pot.

I exercised my right and took it back home.

That reti grew and grew, but it was very gentle with me and my son. That came from daily gentle handling from me.

It kind of surprised me to read that reti are mean tempered and not to be kept.

My son freaked out his poor grandma in carrying the reti dangling over his shoulder.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
I like reptiles a lot too. Can anyone tell me what the smallest captive bred constrictors available are?

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I like reptiles a lot too. Can anyone tell me what the smallest captive bred constrictors available are?
I am trying to think of some right off the top of my head, does it matter if they are boas or pythons? Some of the smallest that immediately come to mind are Kenyan Sand boas, Rosy boas (they still get a few feet long), Haitian dwarf boas, and Children's python.

Still think I am forgetting something, lol.

TITANIS

I am trying to think of some right off the top of my head, does it matter if they are boas or pythons? Some of the smallest that immediately come to mind are Kenyan Sand boas, Rosy boas (they still get a few feet long), Haitian dwarf boas, and Children's python.

No, it doesn't matter which family. Several feet is still a bit too long. Perhaps I should look into non-constrictors. I'll research the names you posted. Thanks. :)

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
No, it doesn't matter which family. Several feet is still a bit too long. Perhaps I should look into non-constrictors. I'll research the names you posted. Thanks. :)
You're welcome. :) Out of those that I listed I have personally kept Kenyan sand boas (they are interesting, but if you want a display animal they would not be a good bet as they stay hidden all the time) and Rosies. If you get into the constrictors that are not boids, such as your milksnakes, rats, and kingsnakes they are easy to keep but still can get a few feet on them in length, so that is why I didn't list any of them as I could not think of any that stay under two feet or so.

TITANIS

You're welcome. :) Out of those that I listed I have personally kept Kenyan sand boas (they are interesting, but if you want a display animal they would not be a good bet as they stay hidden all the time) and Rosies. If you get into the constrictors that are not boids, such as your milksnakes, rats, and kingsnakes they are easy to keep but still can get a few feet on them in length, so that is why I didn't list any of them as I could not think of any that stay under two feet or so.
Up to three feet or a bit more is manageable but anything beyond 4ft would be getting big, I think. :whip:

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
Like these little ones, Mercedez? :hehe: (look below) When you say white, are you talking about the pastel axanthic spider? I hope to work with the Crystal genes someday, along with Banana (whitesmoke), Toffee, and Mystic Potions. They're getting close to being within my reach. I'll be working on blue eyed leucistics next season, as my female is just a tad too small this season.

Angela - The bloods are pretty good. I got that little gal from Kara and she's fairly even tempered unless it's feeding time. I use veeeeery long tongs to feed her. I've only got a few select boas. I'm looking to cross Matt Crabe's redline albinos into some Lipstick line sunglow genes. Smokin! I also have a Tarahumara dwarf project I wanna get going on but am still hunting for a female. I've also got a few African import morphs for creating my own "lines" and some neato unusual stuff to try and prove out.

Sarin - Believe it or not, that's a regular ol' pastel. That's one of my two babies from this year. I can't wait to see what she looks like when she hits 1500 grams.

Drop - I love love love the Dreamsicle. Ralph Davis really puts out some amazing stuff, doesn't he? That's the morph that really had my mouth watering when I decided to make this leap. I've got the genes here for it, it's just a matter of growing them out.

My scalies say thank you for the compliments everyone, and send hugs. :hehe:
Wow! One of the nicest Pastels I have seen in a while! :lol: Can I see some post shed pictures pleaseee? :)

hsmoscout

Are any of those commonly availabe in the U.S.? I really like ball pythons, but they get so bug as adults. :( I like the juveniles.

hsmoscout

Up to three feet or a bit more is manageable but anything beyond 4ft would be getting big, I think. :whip:
With the more stocky, muscular snakes 4 ft can look a lot bigger than it sounds

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Gorgeous snakes. They only snake I can say I like or would ever have would be something like the Kenyan Sand Boa or a Rubber Boa. They don't really have that snake shaped head.

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole

Are any of those commonly availabe in the U.S.? I really like ball pythons, but they get so bug as adults. :( I like the juveniles.
Male Ball Pythons don`t get very big at all. They average around 3-4 feet. :)

And yes the above are pretty common in the U.S. Especially the Sand Boa`s, we have one at the store and I am in love with him.

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Hey, can I join the "club" even though I have a run of the mill regular ball python???:) You have some gorgeous snakes, very, very cool. Im still always surprised at how many totally normal and sane people are totally freaked out by snakes! I always ask them to explain and most people have no idea why they are freaked out they just are??? Any ideas?

drop

I don't know why alot of people are afraid of snakes, but I read somewhere that it may be because of a survival instinct that we developped long ago (or something like that). The same for the fear of spiders.

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I don't know why alot of people are afraid of snakes, but I read somewhere that it may be because of a survival instinct that we developped long ago (or something like that). The same for the fear of spiders.
That is what I have heard as well. This can really be seen in our primate cousins, even chimps and monkeys in captivity who have never seen a snake before in their life will freak out if they are confronted with one.

Braekedaun

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Matt
sand boas are way cool! While they're in their tank, all you have is a tank of sand! But they are VERY docile and VERY CUTE (according to Christie!), AND very small.

I love corn snakes too, and they stay small. Even the long ones dont take up much room. I've seen them be very nice snakes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.