• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bald spots

WhiskeyandBud

Moving in
Real Name
Gabriella
Hi, we just got a new cockatiel and he has a bald spot behind his crop, a big one between his wings and on his neck and on his chest. I'm not sure if this is an emergency but it's kinda worrying. The man we got him from said he's 8 weeks and he can fly he just tends to fly into walls (we're clipping his wings tomorrow.)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your new cockatiel! Is he eating? Is he fully weaned? Eight weeks is rather young. As with any new bird, it would be best if you got him checked out by an avian vet. If you could post pictures of the bald spots, that might be helpful. He will get used to flying and less prone to flying into things as he grows. Just do things like cover windows, turn off ceiling fans, etc.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You really should let him learn to fly, in a space that's safe away from Windows, mirrors, the kitchen. Eight weeks is really young, so he may not be fully feathered or weaned. He will need time to adjust and a wellness check would give you peace of mind. Have some baby formula on hand and learn to/ or have a vet show you how to hand feed if needed. He's in a new place and will " freak out",, time and patience. Ask away,,,were here to help.

WhiskeyandBud

Moving in
Real Name
Gabriella
Thank you guys for replying. He's not really eating on his own but and he's not weaned. But we're hand feeding him. And we're working on his flying skill. We have another baby cockatiel that's doing a lot better (is mostly weaned doesn't fly into walls fully feathered) and she's almost 3 months. Do you guys have a suggestion for how many times a day he should eat the person we got him from was only feeding him 2-3 times a day and we weren't sure if that's alright.

Attachments

WhiskeyandBud

Moving in
Real Name
Gabriella
Im most worried about the bald patch between his wings because it covers his neck as well. Also we're planning to take Whiskey (my new Birdy with bald spots) and our other cockatiel to the vet in a few weeks for dna testing.

Attachments

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I would suggest you let the little guy learn to fly

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
That does look odd to me, but I'm no expert in baby tiels. If that were my baby I would personally move up the vet appt to asap to be safe.
Also, he's a baby and he'll get the hang of flying eventually. Just like how toddlers fumble around for a bit then get the hang of walking.

WhiskeyandBud

Moving in
Real Name
Gabriella
Thanks I was just wondering if it looked weird to anyone else or if anyone had a baby like this before. I'll get the vet to look at him asap

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That is odd, did the parents pluck him?

WhiskeyandBud

Moving in
Real Name
Gabriella
We aren't sure we thought that that might be what happened or some of the other birds picked on him