• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bald spot on top of head

My birb

Meeting neighbors
~My Indian ringneck about 1 years old and I think he’s molting because I feel blood feathers on his neck. But I have noticed he has a bald spot on top of his head about 1 centimeter. Is there anything wrong? He gets zupreem pellets and vitamin drops in his water each day. And he hasn’t had any accidents involving head contact. What’s wrong help! And what could be causing this?

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I'm not sure, a picture would be super helpful for any of us to help to see if it's just molting or possibly something worse.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is he your only bird? It almost looked like he was plucked...

Also, if he eats pellets, I don't think I would also put vitamins in his water unless it's something your vet has recommended to do. The pellets should provide the nutrients he needs. I would try instead to get him to eat fresh foods- vegetables, fruit, etc.

@cassiesdad?

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I would agree with @sunnysmom and say it looks like plucking, if you have another bird or you only recently got him from someone who had other birds that would be my guess. I know when Diggle lots a nice bunch of feathers he was patchy, but he wasn't quite bald like that.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
That's the only spot that's like that...on top of his head? Unusual, indeed.
Is he your only bird? It almost looked like he was plucked...
It does look like that. Have you seen any itching or attempted plucking at that spot?

Maybe a call to your vet is in order here..

My birb

Meeting neighbors
image.jpg @sunnysmom @cassiesdad @AkasyaEllric I have two other birds but I never let them play together because he then just tries to bite them. But he does scratch his head a lot around his eyes an the top of his head. But around his eyes there are no feathers look at the picture I included below. And I’ve had him for about 6 months so no he’s not have any owner like that. Yeah his feathers seem black I had him fed him the wrong diet just seeds and they turned black due too malnutrition. Hope he looks better when he molts.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
It honestly almost looks like an allergy. I'm not actually sure what an allergy would be like in a bird, but this is what my dog looked like with her allergies. Could be something in his food or his environment.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I do see some new feather growth. The black feathers are from a bad diet...good on you to correct that situation. The scratching is probably the cause of the bald areas on his head and around his eyes.
Does he bathe? Bathing will help soften the sheaths that become the new feathers and probably make your guy feel a little better...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It does not look like plucking, the skin looks a little thickened to me. He is also missing quite a bit around the eyes and it seems that regrowth it not happening in those areas. I would take a trip to the vet. They may do a skin scraping to check for a skin infection.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
With the feather loss around the eyes too, I would do a vet check.