• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bald spine

Jace

Sitting on the front steps
Hi guys,
I've had my boy since mid September and in the shower today I noticed a strip down the middle portion of his spine that is almost completely bald. Is this normal for a birds spine?
When he is dry you cant even notice it... You have to actually part the wet feathers to see it. It's about 1cm in width and about 5-10cm long.
I would take photos to show but I can't. He seems to know what I'm doing and won't let me.

We have had a problem with feather destruction, not plucking, from a variety of reasons due to the previous owners lack of care. (Lack of stimulation, not enough time out of the cage, poor diet, cage was too small, him and his girlfriend weren't getting along, sexual frustration etc).

He won't play with toys or anything because he's too busy sitting there begging to come back out of his cage despite being out for about 5-6hrs a day.

I have had the issue dealt with by a vet but she said habit probably has a big part to play and it will take a bit of work to undo.
I thought we were getting on top of it because the quality of his feathers seemed to have drastically improved...but now I'm worried again. I don't know how long this patch has been there.

Attachments

ChirpyMacaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joel
pics of the bird?

Jace

I can't. Whenever I go to take a photo he flies off.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He won't play with toys or anything because he's too busy sitting there begging to come back out of his cage despite being out for about 5-6hrs a day.
Perhaps it's time to give up some personal space and adapt it for the boy and eliminate that cage completely.

The spine is located on the back. I'm assuming your talking about the "Keel bone" down the front. There are many tracts of bare skin on birds and that would be one of them.
FeatherTrack.jpg

Jace

Perhaps it's time to give up some personal space and adapt it for the boy and eliminate that cage completely.

The spine is located on the back. I'm assuming your talking about the "Keel bone" down the front. There are many tracts of bare skin on birds and that would be one of them.
View attachment 294830
No not the keel bone, the spine on his back .
I just tried getting a photo again but as soon as I try part the feathers he chucks a tantrum. He just doesn't like someone messing up his feathers .

It's not my space or time that is of concern. We also have a cat. (I'm not worried about her, she doesn't care. It's Walley attacking her I'm worried about).
I am putting some changes in place at the moment.
We have a decent sized kitchen that I can shut the door to and will be bringing him inside, shut that door and just leave his cage open when we get a new one that will fit in there because the current one is 2x2x1.6m.

Attachments

Last edited:

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
@Jace
I thought I could remember seeing what you describe on my own birds before but I wasn't 100% sure. I took my cockatoo in for a shower to test. Obviously she's not an eclectus, but here's what I found:

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I believe it certainly is normal as every bird I have had has had this little bare section from what I can remember.

Jace

I believe it certainly is normal as every bird I have had has had this little bare section from what I can remember.
Oh thank god.
Thanks for the help everyone.
I thought it would be normal as if it was plucking, no doubt it would be elsewhere as well other than under the beak (that he can't even get to and my lorikeet has the same)