• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Balance

WillowNMurphy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Willow
how do you balance between spending time with your dogs and your birds? I feel like I’ve been neglecting my dogs (Lulu and Kiara) because I’ve been spending more time with Murphy. Any thoughts are welcome. :)

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My dogs are relatively decent with birds and are usually out while the birds are. Under supervision of course. I don't really have a big problem with it. The dogs are often allowed to sleep with me and get snuggle time then. They get on and off attention during the day when they bring me toys to throw and they generally get about an hour of walking, hiking play time outside with me most days. The rest of the time, I can old the birds relatively problem free. For the most part, my dogs know that if I'm holding a bird, its best not to bother me.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My dog sleeps with me and is under my feet every minute of the day that he is not locked out of the room I am in when the bird is out.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I should probably point out that I have less predatory dog breeds and have done some traing as well. Someone with a more predatory breed or not so great traing should probably keep the dog on the other room. My yorkie had to be locked in the bedroom sometimes. My springer and sheltie are both good. Common sense is applied though. Good dogs or not, bad stuff happens when you give it a chance to happen.
Both bird and dog can benefit a lot from ambient attention. Some on a nearby gym, back of chair or shoulder for the bird and at your feet playing with a toy for the dog all qualify as good pack/ flock time.