• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baking bird bread from pellets

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
Hi guys, my parrotlet has her periods with food. At the moment she is refusing her harrisin super fine pellets,so she now eat mostly top and nutriberries.will try her on caitec soon.

The harrisin pellets do have a short expiration date. Can i use the pellets that i have left to make a bird bread?
Maybe i can use the birdbread in foraging toys.
Anybody with a good recipe?
Maybe some veggies and RPO used in the bread? How much of eveything should be used and how and how long to store/use it?
When the bird bread is used in the foraging toys, can it be left in the cage all day?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes. Mine won’t eat Harrisons either and I bought big bags in 2 sizes so it is going in bread and chop.

Here is a recipe I use often. You could use the RPO instead of coconut oil. It makes way to much for your one little bird — cut into squares and freeze it, pull out one at a time and thaw.

Others have said they use fewer eggs, which you can do and substitute apple sauce or pumpkin. Like 4 eggs + 1/2 cup AS or pumpkin etc.

Easiest Bird Bread

8 eggs, reserve shells

1-2 cups flour

1 cup of pellets (I use Roudybush) soaked in apple juice or water

2 cups broccoli, carrots, and squash OR a bag of frozen corn/peas/carrots.

2 T coconut oil, divided.

Put eggs in large bowl and whisk. Add flour a little at a time. If using pellets, only put in 1 cup flour - if no pellets, use 2 cups. Let the pellets absorb water before stirring them in. Chop the vegetables finely in food processor (thaw first if frozen). Grind the egg shells very fine (I use a nutribullet) and stir in. Add 1 T coconut oil.

Spread the other Tablesppon of coconut oil in the bottom of a 13X9” baking pan. Spread bread mix on top, it will be thick. Bake in oven 30 minutes at 350 or until slightly brown on top. Cut into tiny squares and serve. Freeze u used portions up to a month or more.

Optional additives to bird bread: dry egg food, up to 1 cup - add ¾ cup water with it. Bird seed, as much as you like. Ground flax seed or chia seeds are appreciated too. Baby food, toddler veggies, work in place of fresh veggies

I think someone on here said it was too dry. If it seems dry add some water before cooking. Mine is never too dry but I have Gouldians - they don’t like moist foods - and I add tons of veggies

madelynn

Moving in
Real Name
Madelynn
Yes. Mine won’t eat Harrisons either and I bought big bags in 2 sizes so it is going in bread and chop.

Here is a recipe I use often. You could use the RPO instead of coconut oil. It makes way to much for your one little bird — cut into squares and freeze it, pull out one at a time and thaw.

Others have said they use fewer eggs, which you can do and substitute apple sauce or pumpkin. Like 4 eggs + 1/2 cup AS or pumpkin etc.

Easiest Bird Bread

8 eggs, reserve shells

1-2 cups flour

1 cup of pellets (I use Roudybush) soaked in apple juice or water

2 cups broccoli, carrots, and squash OR a bag of frozen corn/peas/carrots.

2 T coconut oil, divided.

Put eggs in large bowl and whisk. Add flour a little at a time. If using pellets, only put in 1 cup flour - if no pellets, use 2 cups. Let the pellets absorb water before stirring them in. Chop the vegetables finely in food processor (thaw first if frozen). Grind the egg shells very fine (I use a nutribullet) and stir in. Add 1 T coconut oil.

Spread the other Tablesppon of coconut oil in the bottom of a 13X9” baking pan. Spread bread mix on top, it will be thick. Bake in oven 30 minutes at 350 or until slightly brown on top. Cut into tiny squares and serve. Freeze u used portions up to a month or more.

Optional additives to bird bread: dry egg food, up to 1 cup - add ¾ cup water with it. Bird seed, as much as you like. Ground flax seed or chia seeds are appreciated too. Baby food, toddler veggies, work in place of fresh veggies

I think someone on here said it was too dry. If it seems dry add some water before cooking. Mine is never too dry but I have Gouldians - they don’t like moist foods - and I add tons of veggies
I tried this and my green cheek conure absolutely loved it! We were tired of wasting all the leftover pellet dust and crumbs at the bottom of the food bag, so I collected 1 cup of it and used it with 1 cup of flower and it was a hit! Might try using some applesauce instead of 8 eggs next time because eggs aren't cheap haha also crushed up some freeze dried veggies and some grated carrot since he's picky when it comes to veggies and we took the opportunity to sneak it in!