• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bakeware

BatmansWife

Meeting neighbors
Hi all!
I’m in desperate need of replacing my baking pans. I’ve had my little monster for almost two years and I’ve stopped baking a lot of my favorite treats because the pans were all teflon coated. I’ve spent a small fortune on my baking collection and it killed me to get rid of them. I’m trying to slowly rebuild with bird safe alternatives. I’ve read what to avoid but no one really talks about the ones they buy unless it’s stove top cookware. I’ve attached a few links for some options and would love some opinions! Thank you in advance!

CasaWare » Colored Bakeware
CasaWare » Granite Bakeware

https://www.usapan.com/9-inch-springform-pan-1085sf
Amazon.com: USA Pan Bakeware Swirl Cupcake Pan, 6 Well, Nonstick & Quick Release Coating, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel: Novelty Cake Pans: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: Yellow 24 Cup Silicone Mini Muffin/Cupcake Pan with Recipe eBook (14) by Bear Bakeware, Non-stick, BPA-free, Dishwasher Friendly, FDA Approved 100% Food Grade Silicone: Kitchen & Dining

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I use glass for cake pans, ceramic muffin pans, aluminum or stainless steel or stoneware cooking sheets. I am pretty sure you can get cheap steel springform pans but they just aren't as nice.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Try Wilton, they usually have what you are looking for.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
All of the links you posted say that they contain no PTFE or PFOA, so they should be safe for use around birds. I'm an avid baker myself and my favorite baking pans are generally non-coated aluminum. Fat Daddio's makes fantastic anodized aluminum bakeware that is professional quality and is sold at Sur La Table and often on Amazon as well. For casserole dishes and the like, I really like Emile Henry's stoneware, which is made in France and lead and cadmium free.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love pizza stone for cookies. It makes professionally looking baked cookies. Just slide the cookies on a sheet of parchment paper and you’ll have pretty cookies. The only drawback is that pizza stone is heavy!

Also, I love your name! I am trying to decide between getting a bat tattoo and having an existing tattoo repaired....if possible.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Just a few tips on materials for you, since there's a lot out there... this might help to narrow it down. Generally speaking, aluminum is the best choice for baking cakes, and it's what I'd choose for round cake pans, springform pans, etc. Aluminum is a better heat conductor than stainless steel, for example, and your baked goods will turn out better in aluminum. I would pick anodized aluminum because it makes the surface much harder and it can withstand scrubbing and whatnot. I use aluminum for all of my cake pans and I also like aluminum sheet pans.

For casseroles and things, a lot of people choose glass or ceramic. These two materials are actually very poor heat conductors, but because of that, they heat more evenly and are good insulators. That's why they make good casserole dishes: they'll keep your food warmer for longer. I personally use the enameled stoneware / ceramic ones.

Silicone is also a pretty poor heat conductor, but, it's pretty naturally nonstick, so good for different shaped cake pans that might otherwise stick to metal. I see a lot of specialty pans in silicone. However, for some reason, silicone will never give you a good crust. So if you want to get the silicone cupcake pan and use it with cupcake liners it will do the job for you, but if you ever want to make muffins without a liner and you like a nice crust on your muffin, a silicone pan won't get you there.

For crusty or crispy things, I'd recommend uncoated / unenameled stoneware or cast iron. Pizza stones are usually stoneware. They also make uncoated stoneware muffin pans, which will give you a great crust. A nice stoneware cookie sheet or bar pan is also great if you like your cookies or bars to have crispy edges.

Hope this helps :)

BatmansWife

Meeting neighbors
I love pizza stone for cookies. It makes professionally looking baked cookies. Just slide the cookies on a sheet of parchment paper and you’ll have pretty cookies. The only drawback is that pizza stone is heavy!

Also, I love your name! I am trying to decide between getting a bat tattoo and having an existing tattoo repaired....if possible.
Thanks! My husband loves baman! Our African grey is named Gotham lol

BatmansWife

Meeting neighbors
Lotus15 that helps so much! Thank you! I mostly use glass and aluminum cookie sheets but when I want specialty shapes and what not for cakes I get scared and nervous :joyful:

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Just jumping in on this post. Does anyone know if Wilton pans are okay around birds? They have a muffin top pan that I would love but it says non-stick. For the life of me I can't find what product they use for non-stick. The seller of their products on Amazon posted this in the "Questions about this product" section.

Wilton does not use Teflon non-stick coatings.
· Wilton does not use any non-stick coatings manufactured by DuPont.
· Wilton bakeware does not contain C-8 or PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid).
· Wilton non-stick coatings are approved by the FDA.
· All Wilton non-stick coatings are safe up to 500 degrees F.
I would recommend giving the pan a thorough wash before use and applying a thin layer of oil to the cavity before baking to create a barrier.

There pans are advertised as "non-stick" and Teflon is a brand name, so do they just use another not stick coating that isn't manufactured by DuPont? This is clear as mud! lol

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I had the samme question, call the company and ask what non stick means and if it is PFOA and PTFE free

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I had the samme question, call the company and ask what non stick means and if it is PFOA and PTFE free
Thanks for your response greys4u. You would think company's would make it easy for consumer to purchase their products by providing all the necessary info...... :thanks:

calico_rose

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello all, I am working on switching my cookware in order to get a bird and was wondering about my bakeware. I contacted Wilton and they told me the same as Susan in So Cal. I wanted to know if they were safe as well. They told me "Wilton coatings have no intentionally added BPA, Lead, Cadminum, PFOA, and PTFE." I have TONS of brand new pans that I rather not get rid of if I don't have too. Anyone have any advice?