• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bad Words

Wolf

Jogging around the block
It sometimes requires me to do some creative thinking, but I have had pretty good luck with changing the words that I don't want them to say into something different. Some words must be changed into two words and then built upon but the primary aspect of this way is to find a word or two that will sound very similar to the offending words. That is where you have to get creative. Wh*re is close enough to change to " Who are" then add "you" one the end of it. This is just one example of how to go about this change the bad word game.

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
My B&G picked up f@$* (one or more of my boys) and would say it loudly and he taught it to 3/4ths of our flock. I tried ignoring it but he'd obviously been reinforced with the drama the word was associated with and he loved even my evil stare! He's the one who said sh@# when the phone rang, my fault but I whispered it and that went away on it's own. So with all the expression and excitement I could muster I said, "DUCK!!!????, Pebbles YOU SILLY BOY! You are not a DUCK!! Heavens, stop calling yourself a DUCK!! YOU are a PARROT, NOT A DUCK!!!" I got the evil eye and could almost hear him thinking, "boy is she dumb! She's NO FUN at this game". And after awhile he gave up and the others followed suit.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
LOl so funny. Have you seen the clip where the baby says clearly ASSH*OLE!

apparently they taught him to say AHHHHHH, then SOOOOOOO

The Human mind does the rest

AHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSS*OOOOOOOOOOOLE

then he gives a HUGE baby smile !

Last edited:

Doris M

Sprinting down the street
mix up the answer:
"Athena"
"Hi mom I'm home"

and see what happens - or

"Athena"
"Yes/Hi (bird's name). Watcha doing?"

Absolutely no experience with greys but if your daughter keeps changing up the answer to the grey, he'll have to improvise and might get thrown off kilter a little, specially if each answer he gets from his calling your daughter is different.
Just a silly thought.
Yes, we have. It's been a conversation piece, for sure lol We've been working on extinction of those phrases. Nevertheless, it is not really bothersome - whether he says it or not, he's a cool little guy. <3 Our daughter grew up with parrots (and other animals); she even plans to go into psychology (she's in high school). So, these conversations added, in my opinion, an interesting twist.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our rehomed African Grey came to us last year and likes to have the following conversation:
"Athena!" (My daughter's name)
"What?" (She answers, with a sigh)
"Whore." (The bird replies)

"Mom! The bird called me a whore again!"

Oh my. I choked when I read that. I am sorry. I don't mean to laugh.
Fortunately - very fortunately - Wasabi has not said any bad word that I have let slip. I can mostly control myself, but when I am tired and have just spilled Snuggles' medicated millet all over the floor and have to throw it all out and start again....yeah, G--amit has been spoken.

I love your daughter's name! So pretty.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Maybe that would be the perfect answer:

"Athena"

"The Who"

Doris M

Oh my. I choked when I read that. I am sorry. I don't mean to laugh.
Fortunately - very fortunately - Wasabi has not said any bad word that I have let slip. I can mostly control myself, but when I am tired and have just spilled Snuggles' medicated millet all over the floor and have to throw it all out and start again....yeah, G--amit has been spoken.

I love your daughter's name! So pretty.
We laugh about it all of the time. No biggie! hahaha! He's a bird and repeats what he's been exposed to. As soon as we took him in we began making bets as to what he'll come up with! ...Did I mention that he gambles ... IMG_20150207_220608260.jpg

Doris M

Maybe that would be the perfect answer:

"Athena"

"The Who"
Thanks for sharing. Never heard it; forwarded it to mu daughter!
I think that it is rather interesting what the birds will determine is important to be picking up, isn't it? I mean why THAT word. Must have been expressed with particular intonation, energy, frequency, or some other factor. He does not use it that much any more, I want to mention. However, what a surprise it was when, a few months ago, we lay in bed and he did flock calls and said this: "I love yoooouuu" - He said that every morning now. Amazed me ... how much I must have told him that. :heart:

Doris M

So Tyrion is just a chatter box and we are learning so many words but what if your fid learns a bad word do you just ignore it and hopefully it will go away ???:bash:
I think it will be extinct when your own behavior changes. They mirror our own world. And, you know, I do curse. Well, that's how I express myself at times. So what.