• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bad Night UGH

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
So yesterday after work the hubby and I were doing some yard work. Well during this we left our back yard gate open. Our kids woke us up around midnight because they let our dog Mercy out and of course she got out since we forgot to close the gate. From midnight until about 2am we all walked and drove around our little town looking for her. She is a black and tan so finding her at night was next to impossible and we gave up for the night. Luckily one of our boys happened to run across one of the town Police officers. He drove around with his spot light and found her about an hour later. She was over three miles away and almost to the highway when he found her. We are going to get him a thank you card and I would like to get him a gift card also. I know most law enforcement won't accept gifts but I want to try anyway. This officer didn't have to help us and he went way above and beyond to find our Mercy.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Very nice of him to help out when he didn't have to. Maybe he's thinking it gave him something to do instead of just driving/sitting around waiting for something to happen? They're not supposed to take gifts but what if you gave him (or the police station) a gift certificate to pizza/sub or donut place? That would be something he could share w/his coworkers.

That's what the park district head honchos would do w/any gifts sent by vendors - they'd put the stuff out by the coffee station for everyone to (ahem) indulge.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
They're not supposed to take gifts but what if you gave him (or the police station) a gift certificate to pizza/sub or donut place? That would be something he could share w/his coworkers.
I was thinking a gift card to a Steak place. I love the idea of a group/department gift better but there really isn't a department. We only have like two officers that are very part time just a few hours at night and they don't work at the same time. Maybe a treat basket with random goodies for their small office would work, things that won't go bad quickly?

Also make sure his supervisor knows he went above and beyond.
I am trying to find out who the officer reports to so I can call the supervisor to make sure they know how much we appreciate what he did. You never hear the good stuff very often any more about law enforcement so I want to make sure people know what he did.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm so glad you got her home safely. What a wonderful officer!