• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Back stool

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Today I notice that my cockatiel has black stool looks like old blood. She's kind of week but is able t stand on one foot and is eating. The vets aren't open till tomorrow?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you think there is blood in the stool and your bird is weak then you need to try and take her to the emergency vet. If you can't do that then monitor her closely At least she is able to balance on one foot and is eating. Is she drinking in addition to eating? Did you feed her anything that could have changed the color of her droppings? Hope she will be OK.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
If you think there is blood in the stool and your bird is weak then you need to try and take her to the emergency vet. If you can't do that then monitor her closely At least she is able to balance on one foot and is eating. Is she drinking in addition to eating? Did you feed her anything that could have changed the color of her droppings? Hope she will be OK.
Ok, I don't think it was black stool. It was just dark green/ brown that looked almost black, not to be confused with bloody poop that's black. I got so scared because I thought she was bleeding. I did the hydrogen peroxide test on her stool, they say if it bubbles then it's blood. Luckly, it didn't bubble. She hadn't eaten solid food that's why her stool was black. The main problem is the foot. She wants to eat and play

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does the foot look swollen? Is there any redness/soreness? Maybe she got it caught on something?

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Does the foot look swollen? Is there any redness/soreness? Maybe she got it caught on something?
Yes it's swollen due to the recurring bumblefoot. Also, she wants to eat but no wanting to eat, hard food. I honestly don't know what to do. We're taking her to the vet tomorrow but I hope we get an appointment. She's still standing on one foot and sleeping.We tried to hand feed her and she would only eat a little bit.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that you are planning on taking her to the vet. I have no experience with Bumblefoot. I know that you posted in another thread about the Bumblefoot. If she gets pellets soften those for her with some warm water. You could make her a mash or try some cooked and softened veggies. Are there any special treats she likes in order to entice her to eat more? Does she like millet? I hope she will be OK.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Good that you are planning on taking her to the vet. I have no experience with Bumblefoot. I know that you posted in another thread about the Bumblefoot. If she gets pellets soften those for her with some warm water. You could make her a mash or try some cooked and softened veggies. Are there any special treats she likes in order to entice her to eat more? Does she like millet? I hope she will be OK.
She likes ground up corn because it breaks easier. Good things she's eating now and we also gave her pedialyte.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope she’ll be okay! I wonder why the bumblefoot reoccurs. I think I remember you mentioned in another post something about her water/food bowl. Could it be irritating it? Is the rest of her cage all soft surfaces?

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
I hope she’ll be okay! I wonder why the bumblefoot reoccurs. I think I remember you mentioned in another post something about her water/food bowl. Could it be irritating it? Is the rest of her cage all soft surfaces?
Yeah we out the no mess food bowls back in the cage because my other bird is a chronic eggs layer and he gets horny when put the other bowls. The no mess food bowl has dowel 0erches and I think that's what caused the bumblefoot.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Update - She was very weak last night. I stayed up all night to make sure she didn't fall. She was trying to balance and look big but she was so weak. She stayed on her one foot all night. We took her to avian vet. He said the bumblefoot doesn't look that bad and shouldn't cause all these problems. However, I think we shouldn't rule this out because the other day, she was limping. He told us to stop using gentamycin as it can cause toxicity in birds like renal issues. He also suspects liver problems. She doesn't look yellow to me tho. The vet believes she was "fake eating" and has been for a week so she doesn't appear weak. Also, she was trying to appear bigger that she is because she was trying to hide her illness. The vet took a look at her keel bone and it was so bony :(. She only weighs 65 grams. Good thing we left her under the vet's care. He's going to take care of her overnight. If she looks bad, then he's going to keep her for a few more days. She was eating so he had to feed her baby formula through a feeding tube. At this point, he just wants to fatten her up so that she can survive. I'm wondering if she didn't eat because she was in pain or she has some serious issue with her organs. I'm scared because it might be a kidney/gout related and from what I've read birds don't live for that long. If's a liver problem then it could be easily fixed, but kidney disease is bad. Gentamycin can cause toxicity in kidney, however the med was applied on her feet so I'm wondering if it could still damage her organs.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I’m so sorry she seems so sick and thin.. I hope she’ll be okay!
:sadhug2:

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
She passed away

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss. :sadhug2:Thank you for trying.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh, I’m so sorry to hear this! Fly high sweet little girl.:sorrow:
:sadhug2:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road