• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Baby"

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
UpDate on "Baby"
She's in transit now from Florida to Connecticut with her Aunt and Uncle,saying prayers she has a stress fear trip, So excited to see her, this is a pic. Of her in transit

Well she looks comfortable in her travel cage at least; that's a good start. :tup:

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Awww, so glad for you. She does look comfortable and happy. So looking forward to seeing more pics of her!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss of your cousin. It's wonderful you could take Baby in :) It's going to be a huge transition for her, so my advice is take things slow and let's her set the pace.

Something else to consider is getting an air purifier. I don't know what your setup is like or what your plans are but I highly recommend housing your African ringnecks in a different room/area in your home. Sadly cockatoos' dust can be harmful to other birds and even cockatoos themselves if it much is allowed to build up.

Welcome to AA. Its a great place and if you are having any trouble there is alwayd people here to help. I wish you, Baby and the rest of your flock all the best :)

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:fairy2: So glad she made it home safely! And she's already adjusting so well, too! :dance5:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
So glad Baby arrived safely!

It sounds like she's an absolute doll...:)

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
She's probably used to getting attention for it. Luv Bug squawks intermittently until we get her out for breakfast if we try to sleep in, but if that's not it, then maybe try to ignore the scream and then interact with her as sokn as she becomes quiet to reinforce that?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
So Baby Screamed her head off this morning, it was very stressful....
Milton "vocalizes" in the morning, after breakfast...especially if it's sunny out! :marlenesmile:

It's like he's telling the world, "GOOD MORNING"....:)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
My Freddy does screeches in the morning to get our attention. He's nowhere near as loud as an umbrella though. Hope she calms for you. I actually like Freddy's vocalizations except for one particular one that sounds more like an alarm. It's very scary. I don't hear it too often and I try to pay attention to what causes it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Baby is beautiful and great that she did well with the journey to her new home. My 'toos will sometimes scream in the AM if I don't get up early enough for them. At least that is usually not before 8A.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so glad Baby made it safely, she’s a doll! I hope she settles in well!

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Miss Coco generally goes off in the AM and just before bedtime, as if to say “Good AM” and “Day’s almost done”. I really believe it’s a cockatoo trait, and the healthy signs of a happy ‘too.

We never discourage it, loud as it can be. She’s always done after a few minutes.......

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Listen to the U2 people!

That said, we sometimes do the "Cockatoo Yell" all together at our house. Humans put fingers in ears and yell "Good Morning! Good morning!" as loudly as possible, while happily dancing around and flapping our "wings" for joy. After a very short time (usually 3-4 good mornings), we start to being the energy down; slowing physically and dropping the volume incrementally. We usually end up standing quietly and whispering about how they are a sweet little girl and good little guy. Gets e'm almost every time.

Disclaimer edit: I'm actually loud enough to out-shout Rhubarb. Gotta use all my old classical voice training to do it though. And it wasn't a punishment... wanted to see if I could actually match her energy and ended up discovering that she's not a fan of my operatic warm-ups.

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you for keeping the promise to your cousin.

Remember that Baby is still in mouring..... she probably doesn't know where her best buddy is. That has to be stressful.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
So sorry for yours and Baby's loss.
Thank you for taking her in.