• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Baby"

Jeanbets

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
I'm taking in my cousins umbrella cockatoo,sadly she passed away and I always told her I would take her if anything ever happens,well the time has come and I will have "Baby" in a couple weeks, she's in her 20's and I have 2 African ringnecks so any advice would be GREATLY appreciated I'm so excited!

Attachments

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
You are so kind for taking Baby in. I don't have any advice but lots of best wishes. Baby looks like a real character!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thank you for taking her in. She will be in mourning but hopefully she'll transition well. You'll know more once she arrives.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thank you for taking this bird in on your friend's behalf. I'm glad you already have some birds so you won't be going into this completely blind. Cockatoos are a whole new level of bird ownership. I wish you well.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I am sorry for your loss.

Thanks for giving Baby a soft place to land...and now, buckle up for the long ride!
She will be in mourning but hopefully she'll transition well.
Very true. Milton (in avatar) came to us after losing his first person, whom he loved deeply. It took almost three years for Milty to work through his loss.

We'll all be here to help you in any way we can, so feel free to ask any questions or bring up concerns you have...

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I'm so sorry for the loss of your cousin, how kind of you to provide Baby with a good home. You are in the right place! The people on this forum are amazing and have helped me greatly.
I have a Galah cockatoo, Freddy. I have only had him since December and all I knew of cockatoos is what I have read. We are all learning together. Someone on this forum told me it's a journey and it sure is. But a fun journey. Looking forward to reading about Baby's progress, so welcome! :heart:

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Just "don't put Baby in a corner".........OMG did I just say that!
Seriously, I'm sorry for the loss of your cousin and so nice of you to make good on your promise and take Baby in. Good luck!
In case nobody recognizes the phrase in quotes and thinks I am being disrespectful.......it's a line from the movie Dirty Dancing, I couldn't resist.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
What a difficult time for both of you.

Apart from the all-important first visit to the vet, here are some things you can do to help with Baby's adjustment process:

Set up a routine early, with plenty of fresh food and water, and keep with it (provide stability)

Make sure her cage has plenty of toys that are of different types -- such as preening, wood-chewing, knot-untying, shredding, etc. -- provide her with a dim night light and some places/corners with a bit of extra privacy such as a toy that she can "hide" behind during naps (provide security)

Spend time talking or gently singing to her and offer physical interaction adjusted to her comfort level, or simply sit in the same room and read or watch a quiet movie to let her know she's not alone (provide socially).

Know that it's possible she may scream or rip out feathers or both as part of her distress over the loss of everything familiar. This does not mean that you have failed. AA members are here to help you work through and solve problems as they come up.

Thank you for giving Baby a safe home to land.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry for your loss, and I’m so glad you can take Baby in. I hope everything goes well for you both!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry for your loss. So kind of you to take in Baby. If you can, try to keep her routine as close to what she was used to until she settles in to your home. I don't know if you have a way of knowing- but same food, similar toys, same cage if that's an option, same bedtime, etc.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I am so sorry for your loss. I can't wait to see pics of her in her new home. She sounds like a real love!