• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby wild betta care

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
I got 8 baby wild guitar betta today.They are 1cm to 1.5cm and in a 5 gallon ( cause that's the smallest I could find other than a plastic bottle for water changes) .Anyone knows how to care for them?Like wild baby betta cause I've been with betta for 5 years.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
If you have 8 of them, you'll need to separate them into individual tanks, or they will quickly start fighting and kill each other. At least 5 gallons per fish. Ideally 10 gallons or more.

I'm not sure what you mean by wild? Unless you scooped them up from the rice paddies of Thailand (which is their natural habitat)?

@finchly knows stuff about bettas, maybe she can chime in.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi! Yep the wild ones are fun. Lots of water changes will help them grow. I believe they're used to softer water so you need to know your water parameters. Plants help, And you'll need the Indian Almond leaf, they live in marshes so they want marshy water. Some call the softer water with tannins "blackwater."
Here's a video of a guy that makes an extract instead of just throwing the leaves in.

@taxidermynerd You should look them up, they're nice and a change from 'regular' bettas.

ETA: These fish prefer the smaller tanks, 2 to 5 gallon tanks are okay for one or a pair. I'll post again if I remember anything else.

Last edited:

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
I got them from a breeder and I used extract.They are siblings and only 1cm,the biggest being 1.5cm so I doubt if they'll fight,YET.I already got other tanks cycling and stuff.IMHO,I think extract is much better cause my LFS sells leaves ON THE FLOOR as blackwater (oh,crap,that sucks) .

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Ah, okay. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yeah, the leaves on the floor is a big-time yikes. I think you can get almond leaves on amazon, I've never bought any though.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Nevermind now cause I got proper almond leaves from another LFS,just much much further.They are quite happy and enjoying their brine shrimp snack now while Mango eyes them curiously.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That is what I forgot to mention - live food! Sounds like you’ve got it covered.

Show us pictures when you can.