• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Update and Urgent Help- Sad Update Post #4

JCG351

Meeting neighbors
Hello, all I posted before saying my cockatiel laid eggs. The first one hatched on May 4 and so on, however when we first decided to check up on them one baby seemed newly hatched. Yesterday while we took them out for nest cleaning the baby's crop was emptyand the others around halfway. We quickly put them back in in hopes of the parents feeding before intervening. After a few minutes we decided to hand feed the baby and the others. Today I am checkingp on them and the baby's crop is empty once again I fed him and the parents have been feeding, but it doesn't get to the youngest. Is this because somethings wrong with him? or because since he is so young the others get all the food? While I was checking his crop I also noticed blood underneath his wing. Is it a blood feather? or is he getting picked at or get stepped on? I've been researching and these two seem to be the only reasons I can find. Should he be taken to the vet? This is my bird's first clutchof babies and they seem to be doing well with the bigger ones. We suspect them to be around 16-15 days old and the youngest around 8-10 days old. I really want all my babies to survive and losing one will just kill me. Is there any solutions you guys can offer? Thank ou for your help.

ps. Below is a picture of the babies at least a week ago. The three biggest are now bigger and some feathers starting to pop out. The youngest looks around the same size.

Also just remembered does anyone know why the baby always is rolling all around the nesting box. While I looked in there this morning he was rolling all around.

Attachments

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I do not have experience feeding babies but Perhaps you should handfeed the smallest if you think he is not getting enough food from the parents.

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
Unfortunately sometimes nature works like that. If the parents know something is wrong with the youngest chick they will ignore it. Often the youngest chick got the scraps of goodness left to make the last egg from it's mum and may be smaller or weaker. My last egg was smaller and the chick was smaller and still as adults he is significantly smaller and lighter but made it with the rest of it's siblings. If you want it to survive you may have to hand feed it and remove it from it's parents.

JCG351

Meeting neighbors
Hello, Yes I started to hand feed him yesterday, which was the first day the parents stopped feeding it. However, it tears me to say during today's hand feeding he died in my hands around 3 pm western. I am completely torn up about it knowing it was suffering and I feel like I did nothing to help him. I realize he could have been sick, but it tears me up. The other three are still being fed. I will post again after a while and update as for now I need some time off. Thank you for your time and advice.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm sorry sweetheart, but, as someone said nature works like that. At least you have 3 healthy babies, to watch grow, explore and get they're little personalities.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I am so sorry for your loss.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh, how heartbreaking. I'm so very sorry.
:sadhug2:

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
That is sad to hear. However it was not your fault and you need to stay focused for your 3 remaining babies in case they need your help. Don't blame yourself.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.