• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BABY SWALLOWS! HELP

David D

Strolling the yard
My sister, her boyfriend, his friends and I all went swimming today at this pond. One of my sisters friends hit the dock really hard with a stick and a birds nest fell from the bottom of the dock and had three floating swallows! He jumped in and put them on the dock. Long story short I have them and I want to help them! What should I do? They seem to be half way through fledging and look quite healthy, one is significantly smaller than the other two though. Suggestions?? I ordered baby formula and a syringe already but how do I keep them alive over night?? I want to help these little guys because they didn't deserve to have their home destroyed by some hillbilly idiot. Thanks!

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
go to your nearest petsmart or petco and buy the handfeeding formula for baby birds. I'm fostering 3 baby sparrows for a local wildlife rehab/vet clinic and this is what they use. if you can't then the first night I had them I blended up some bird pellets and added warm water till it was a little thicker than apple sauce. you can also find a local place that will accept wildlife that will hand feed them for you

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Keep them warm and hydrated till a wildlife rescue is reached. I bet they're beautiful, they have the cutest faces.

David D

Strolling the yard
They aren't taking the formula or water :( I hope they will take it in the morning!!

David D

Strolling the yard
UPDATE! They're doing well on the formula! its a pain to get the syringe in their mouths but once I do they're good. The smallest one fell asleep in my hands last night after he ate :xflove: ! One is really afraid of me, the smallest one likes me, and the middle one hates me sometimes and tolerates me others haha the little one is my buddy! I named them after the three stooges, Moe, Curly, and Larry. I think they will be ready to be released in about 2-3 weeks but, I'm not too sure considering ive never done it before :huh:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you plan on releasing, try not to imprint them and make sure they eat on their own. Keep us updated. :)

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Thanks for caring for them - good luck with them.

Sounds like my tiels...one likes me, one hates me, one is my little buddy and another tolerates me!