• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby sleeping alot

Prim&Poco

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Anna
I've had our baby GCC for two weeks, she's seen our Avian vet 5 days into having her. She got glowing remarks from the vet. Her hatch date was 1/20/19.

She's eating well, growing in strength, pooping well, just concerned with how much she sleeps. And I just weighed her, 58 grams... at the vet she weighed 60 grams... hoping it just a difference in scales... any comments or recommendations? 20190411_183333.jpg 20190413_093058.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
. And I just weighed her, 58 grams... at the vet she weighed 60 grams... hoping it just a difference in scales
It could also be the time of day.

Babies do sleep a lot.
Just be sure she has a healthy balanced diet to get the energy she needs :)

She´s beautiful btw ❤

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
She and her poop look normal. She is a little on the smaller side so I might look into giving her high potency pellets, especially with a molt coming up. She needs the extra energy to make sure she grows.

As @Zara said babies sleep a lot. They eat, scamper around and scamper to sleep. Normal adult weight is between 80-120g so you are right on track. As long she continues to gain weight overall, I wouldn’t stress the day to day.

We didn’t notice sizable weight gain with Isen until she was about 4 1/2 months or so old and even now she is only about 90g. Our newest baby Pippin is 9 weeks and she weighs about 68-70g. She demands naps a few times a day. Me being slothful when I’m not working, indulge her on the weekends lol.

You might also try feeding her some warm food - mashed yams and cooked veggies or even crushing pellets and reconstituting with hot water to make it more appealing.

Just try to weigh her approximately the same time of day. I usually do afternoon because the morning bomb is big. It gives them time to drop the M-Bomb, eat and be active prior to weighing so hopefully it’s not drastically over or under.

Best of luck :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
2 grams is nothing to worry about. Start weiging her at same time every day so you can see the difference.
I prefer to weigh them in the evening. That way you will see that they have been eaten enough too. But you can weigh her twice a day too everytime when you suspect something. And later once a week. (never stop weighing her)

She is 12 weeks old, and I don't think that she should be sleeping a lot anymore.
How much does she sleeps? Give me hrs/day and how many times she sleeps and how long every time.
How does her nightly sleep looks like? Is she covered? Is it silent in her room? Can anything disturb her their?
Does she play? If yes, how much? Is she interested in her surrounding? Does she seems to be worried or anguish in any way that can explain why she sleeps more then normal?

Lets start their because you already have been at your vet. (did your vet make any test on her?)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Forgot. What does she eats?

Prim&Poco

Real Name
Anna
Thank you all for your helpful comments!!

She's on Harrisons and Roudybush Pellets and gets snacks of nutriberries, dehydrated fruit, and the seed mixtures in image. She hasn't taken to much to human food yet, not really into fruit like grapes, prefers dehydrated strawberries and banana. She's a healthy eater though! She plays alot in her cage, likes to chew and shred. Shes starting to explore more and more, but wants to stick like glue to me typically when she's out of her cage, which is almost all of the time when we're home, and she's out almost all weekend long.

She especially likes my hair, hiding, sleeping and cleaning herself in it... is super cuddly and demands to be pet or she bites in a soft manner... I put her down when she does this, hopefully she'll learn she won't get too far with biting.

I'd say she's taking cat naps multiple times a day, bedtime is roughly 7-7, cage is covered, with some residuals noise and light from the tv... she was downstairs which was really quiet for the last number of weeks, she was just moved to her permanent cage yesterday which is upstairs in our living room. Acclimating her to our other bird, cage is across the room from him. She'll remain here for a couple of weeks and we then plan to gradually move the cage closer to him.

I haven't sensed anguish or stress from her. She does seem a bit timid, everything seems new to her, but just in the last couple of days she seems to be more willing to explore... start to play with new toys. Loves her play stand and plays on that, but she's not super comfortable with all the toys yet.

20190415_060929.jpg

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
That sounds like a healthy bird to me. I don't think you should worry as long as she act healthy and not loosing weigh. And some birds sleep more, and take smaller napkins during the day, that is also what mine does.

Prim&Poco

Real Name
Anna
Thank you, just went home on my lunch break and she was full of piss and vinegar and a hole bunch of sweetness. Think shes happier and more lively being in the same room as our other GCC, Poco!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Idts LoL. She’s just saying the baby was very sassy and at the same time very sweet.

Sounds like she’s fine. Just think about adding more orange and dark green. A little bit of carrot, squash, yams, spinach, kale, broccoli etc. Fruit is good and for her rn, it might be helpful for the extra calories.

You just don’t want to get her into the habit of just eating fruit and seeds because the fat and sugar content. Like humans, they should eat more protein and veggies, less sugar and fat.

So basically pellets with a sprinkle of seeds, veggies and light on the fruit. She especially need the protein for flying and molt.

She’s a pretty girl and I’m sure she’ll do well! :)