• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby quaker help!

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for the info! She doesn't look unhealthy or super skinny, I just wasnt sure how much to feed her because I have no hand feeding experience. I've been feeding her twice a day, no more than that. I'm just a worry wart and want to make sure she is getting enough. I was kind of freaking out thinking about all the awful things that could happen. The breeder will not answer any calls or texts or emails from me :angry101:
She is going to the vet tomorrow so that will put me at ease :chillpill:. I also found a breeder near me that I am going to meet tomorrow after the vet. Shes going to look her over as well and make sure I'm hand feeding properly and just give me advice. I'm so happy I found her after scouring the internet forever!:bliss:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Let us know how things go with the vet. Nice of that breeder to be willing to meet with you when Mumble's actual breeder won't follow through with assistance.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Glad you have another breeder willing to help you! That is awesome

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
She is all healthy :loveshower:. The vet said she is all good! And the breeder said she is looking good as well. She said she thinks that mumble is a little younger than the other breeder told me she was. The breeder told me she was 9 weeks going on 10. This breeder said shes probably more like 7 to 8. I'm feeling so relieved now. Thank you guys for all your help!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm very happy she is doing well! Very unimpressed with the breeder you got her from though! She should be ashamed!

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good news. I was a little concerned with a 9 week old quaker, quaking like that. I was thinking major hunger and with a weight like that, I was concerned. Being younger than advertised explains the immature behavior though.

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Just an update! Shes doing well! Driving me nuts :lol:haha shes eating and gaining weight every day. Shes eating more and more on her own. I've got her perches up all over the cage not just the lower levels. Shes a wild little monster! But super sweet and playful:bliss:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Just wait, that stillness won't last long. Quakers are very smart, learn from watching, some are mechanically inclined (open cage doors & get out), some are builders (if you give them a platform or a timothy grass hut) and will weave any type of stick - drinking straw, millet sprigs, pens, pencils, feathers, popsickle sticks AND things like glasses into anything to make a nest. You should look @ Youtube for Quakers, nest building. Start talking to your baby now, you'll be surprised at what you hear coming back - they listen to everything and will use it in context. Be prepared to hear yourself laughing back at you one of these days.

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Oh yea I'm already getting some of that! Shes working on the cage door already. I'm pretty sure she learned it so fast from watching my cockatoo work on hers!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Oh yea I'm already getting some of that! Shes working on the cage door already. I'm pretty sure she learned it so fast from watching my cockatoo work on hers!
And if she's like some of my Quakers, she'll also be nice enough to open the cage doors for any other fids you have. Kiwi used to do that AND if she was on a "time out" in the laundry room with her sidekick gcc Beni, she'd be polite enough to open the cage door, let Beni out and then get out herself. We had a geriatric cat and Kiwi would bathe in KitKat's bowl.

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Big news! :hug8: she refused both of her feedings today!:dance4: i believe I should continue to offer her hand feeding formula for a few more days?
Her weight is up to almost 100g! Shes running around being wild and flinging things. My cockatoo has now made a fun game of flinging her food everywhere with her foot, which shes never done before. Now mumble is picking up on it. :shifty: little buttheads hahaha they are having a great time with it.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Big news! :hug8: she refused both of her feedings today!:dance4: i believe I should continue to offer her hand feeding formula for a few more days?
Her weight is up to almost 100g! Shes running around being wild and flinging things. My cockatoo has now made a fun game of flinging her food everywhere with her foot, which shes never done before. Now mumble is picking up on it. :shifty: little buttheads hahaha they are having a great time with it.
I believe there is something written about what owning a bird is like and one of the first things is buy food and throw 3/4 of it on the walls, ceiling, floor and anywhere else you can think of ... And they do learn from each other, unfortunately both good and bad things ...

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd continue to offer at least one feed a day until Sunday. If she goes several days without wanting it, then you are good to go. Don't be too shocked if she drops maybe up to 5-7 grams even if she's refusing. If she looses more than that, then at least keep offering for a while longer.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just want to say that you have done great with her. Nice that her weight is gone up and she is now refusing the formula. Agree with melissasparrots that you should continue to offer the feedings. Also continue to monitor her weight.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What a little cutie she is. So glad she has continued to progress and gain weight. Bad, bad breeder to do you like that - UGH! Thanks for posting the photos, I want to cuddle her, she's so adorable.