• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby parakeet infected leg

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Bean made it through the night and is still very peeved about the cone. He is ferociously eating but I have not seen him drink yet but I’m not too worried about it since he is eating so much lol.
Besides being mad about the cone he actually seems more comfortable if that’s even possible. He is breathing better and seems way more spunky already.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Bean made it through the night and is still very peeved about the cone. He is ferociously eating but I have not seen him drink yet but I’m not too worried about it since he is eating so much lol.
Besides being mad about the cone he actually seems more comfortable if that’s even possible. He is breathing better and seems way more spunky already.

It is quite probable that he feels less pain. From looking at his x-rays I would guess every little movement caused the bone fragments to rub together. That would cause a great deal of pain.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Well the cupcake wrappers are not working out! The little bugger has already figured out if he scoots backwards the wrapper pops off :rolleyes:
Any suggestions?
Have you tried taking off the cone completely, he might not need it if he doesn't pick at his leg. Keep an eye out without it.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Have you tried taking off the cone completely, he might not need it if he doesn't pick at his leg. Keep an eye out without it.
I am very hesitant to take it off, he was picking at it before surgery and I’m afraid he would either go after the sutures or pick at the scab :confused: plus they have it on so well I’m afraid to get it off for fear of not getting back on!

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I am very hesitant to take it off, he was picking at it before surgery and I’m afraid he would either go after the sutures or pick at the scab :confused: plus they have it on so well I’m afraid to get it off for fear of not getting back on!
Ok got it! :) nerve wracking for sure watching him struggle with it. Hope he heals up fast.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Imho, it's best to leave the cone on. It's really not worth the risk. Even my vet had difficulties putting my boy's cone on as he kept struggling.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Try making a fleece collar that at least makes it harder for him to pick at his leg.

Maiboch can't get out of those, and when injured her leg it was the only thing I could keep on her.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
That's good news. Hopefully he won't pick, but that's pretty un-bird like. Can't wait to see how he's doing. Once he heals, I think he'll adjust quickly and be great.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Sorry guys I forgot to get pictures! So far Bean is doing fine without the cone on and is climbing like a crazy person, falls, and starts climbing again! Clearly he is feeling 100% better without that leg! I actually stopped giving his AM pain meds and he is tolerating daytime without pain meds really well.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Sorry guys I forgot to get pictures! So far Bean is doing fine without the cone on and is climbing like a crazy person, falls, and starts climbing again! Clearly he is feeling 100% better without that leg! I actually stopped giving his AM pain meds and he is tolerating daytime without pain meds really well.
:heart: You go, Bean! I'm so happy to hear he's still not picking his leg. He's such a good bird!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He is a very lucky bird. :heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road