• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby parakeet infected leg

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Bean is a good name! Really 12-15 weeks old? I was thinking more like 7- 10.
Yeah, he’s not an ‘avian’ vet, but I was questioning if Bean was maybe younger since his tail feathers aren’t fully in yet and I don’t even see flight feathers starting yet.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
@Lady Jane
My neighborhood Petco was very responsive to provide medical care to birds as well.
I noticed a cockatiel with some red around his eyes and reported it. They immediately made arrangements to take him to the vet and followed up with me.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@Lady Jane
My neighborhood Petco was very responsive to provide medical care to birds as well.
I noticed a cockatiel with some red around his eyes and reported it. They immediately made arrangements to take him to the vet and followed up with me.
Unfortunately not all stores are run by good people. My local Petco is a hit or miss. Sometimes they've got a really caring manager on staff and sometimes they have staff that acts like they don't give the proverbial rat's behind about anything. I stopped by to check in on a little gcc who'd been up for sale for several months and found an empty cage. So while checking out a purchase I'd asked if they'd sold the gcc. The clerk's reply couldn't have been more "couldn't care less" so while paying I asked him to check if it had been sold (thinking maybe stored in back while cage cleaned). Nope - got a "yeah, it was sold".

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Yes, I agree. It does depend on the store manager and staff.
I have been at a vet’s office and a petco employee brought in a canary to be checked out. I hope this is a guiding rule for humane care but I know That it may not continue to be the case.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Personally, I really like my animal expert. The only thing I don't like about them is the fact that they band their birds.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Yes there have been at least 3 people here who have birds lose a leg or foot since I've been here. They seem to cope quite well and even thrive too. I wish you all the best with him. You're so awesome for saving him ❤
There's a resident Macaw who lives at the Exotic Bird Hospital and he's only got one leg. He's a sweetheart and seems to get around pretty well.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
You can tell the age by bars on the forehead & young keets have black eyes...He looks pretty young but I agree close to 4 mo...

Does not look under 3 mo to me but who knows...They develop as they do & some just are slow...maybe food...Also tail could have been broken.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Update! So the hip is dislocated and the leg is broken. He is on metacam for pain, an oral antibiotic, a steroid spray and vetericyn spray. The vet wasn’t comfortable doing more but this should work until Monday. He seems much more comfortable now and is very sleepy.
The vet also said he thinks this is most likely caused by the parents and guesses him/her to be only 12-15 weeks old.
On a side note I have no idea how rescues afford to run, the meds alone were $100 and thankfully he only charged me for the X-ray and not the office call since he didn’t really do anything hands-on. I have the best vets ever!
Also, @Lady Jane after I read your comment about the baby looking like a “green bean” it just seemed right, so I talked to my girls and they agreed on the name Bean! We all thought it was much more fitting :xflove: Especially because we don’t know if it’s a boy or girl!

Wow...missed it...that's alot of pain for a little bean. Leg did look broken but the hip...ouch...Someone did a job on that or he got it caught in something & pulled it out.

Wow...hope they can mend him...Looks like a boy!

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle

Wow...missed it...that's alot of pain for a little bean. Leg did look broken but the hip...ouch...Someone did a job on that or he got it caught in something & pulled it out.

Wow...hope they can mend him...Looks like a boy!
We threw out possible scenarios and knowing birds we thought somehow the hip dislocated, then the parents/other birds went after it and bit his legs knowing something was wrong with Bean. Birds can be real jerks to each other :arghh:
Sky and Blue are very interested in the baby and keep flying over to the chair next to Bean but I am not allowing any interaction other than them occasionally calling to each other.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Parent probably sat on the chick when it was in a compromising position & injured the hip. They tend to not want to waste resources on a sick or injured chick so as to save them for the others...Its nature & it can be cruel.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Unfortunately not all stores are run by good people. My local Petco is a hit or miss. Sometimes they've got a really caring manager on staff and sometimes they have staff that acts like they don't give the proverbial rat's behind about anything. I stopped by to check in on a little gcc who'd been up for sale for several months and found an empty cage. So while checking out a purchase I'd asked if they'd sold the gcc. The clerk's reply couldn't have been more "couldn't care less" so while paying I asked him to check if it had been sold (thinking maybe stored in back while cage cleaned). Nope - got a "yeah, it was sold".
I get so darn mad walking in to my petco the current manager is PITA! Can't be bothered to come out and talk to you when you have a concern.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Poor baby! How infuriating that the employee said that. :angry101:

You have such a kind heart to take this poor Budgie into your home and give him the care he needs, especially when you’re going through some rough times. :hug8: Thank you.

Hoping everything will be okay at the vet’s.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
UPDATE:
My little Bean saw my avian vet today, she said there is no way to set the leg as the fracture is too high up the leg and more importantly it has been broken long enough that it started “healing” incorrectly. She said we can do one of 2 things: leave it a nonunion and give him pain meds the rest of his life or amputate the leg.
I had a feeling that would be the case. Bean is scheduled for surgery on Thursday, so please pray and send good juju his way!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Bean's got this! :thumbsup: He's been through so much without any care or pain meds. With an avian vet, pain meds, and TLC this'll be a breeze. Like @Garet's bird, though, I bet that collar will be what makes him nuts. Prayers and good juju for the surgery and his collared recovery. :kiss2:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
UPDATE:
My little Bean saw my avian vet today, she said there is no way to set the leg as the fracture is too high up the leg and more importantly it has been broken long enough that it started “healing” incorrectly. She said we can do one of 2 things: leave it a nonunion and give him pain meds the rest of his life or amputate the leg.
I had a feeling that would be the case. Bean is scheduled for surgery on Thursday, so please pray and send good juju his way!
Awe, so sorry that this has to be done. But you are the savior to this baby budgie. Sending you the very best for that little baby! :hug8:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'm sorry, what I was afraid of as it did look high but I am glad its not too high & hopefully they can get the leg off & leave a clean area to heal. It's a shame but we are all routing for him & birds can manage well with one leg...better than being in constant pain or dying from blood poisoning..
Least Bean has a chance thanks to you!!!