• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby parakeet infected leg

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Holy hannah's, that poor baby. Reminds me of my 1st keet Bud, he was a picked on bird too. We kept him in a boot box with me up every hour to feed and water him. I made a perch for him out a branch and wrapped with cotten dish towel. I put it as low as I could. He didn't perch on it but would rest against it. It took 2days b/4 he was feeling better. He was bald headed and had ouchies all over the place. He lived 15 years with me. He was my " starter" (l hate that word) bird.
Ps iwould have wrung that employees neck and that is as lucky as he would have gotten off with!!!!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for rescuing the budgie. Hope he/she will be OK. Do you have any dog food lids or something similar that is shallow? You can put water in that. Make sure to pad the bottom of whatever you are keeping him/her in. I use layers of paper towels with my sparrow.
Very sad regarding what the employee said. That store shouldn't be selling birds.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Happy you have the budgie - hope all goes well.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
What a poor baby, so glad he is with you now.

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:sad4: Thinking of the little one -- hope he is doing well under the circumstances. Thank you for looking after him! :hug4:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Most pet shops will just euthanize a bird especially a lower priced one like a budgie so you are its angel! It does not look good but the foot is pink so thats good but that infection or whatever needs to be taken care of. It might not lose the leg it just depends on what it is & how deep...Problem is its really high up near the body. Wishing the best for the lil guy...it needs to be cleaned at least & probably dead tissue removed if possible. Maybe if its cleaned & treated it will just scab up & heal...

Hope for the best!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When I was stationed at a Petco store working for Purina one day one of the budgies was attacked by other budgies so much the poor babies head was bloody and he looked to be in shock. The bird caregiver for that day got the injured bird out and took him straight away to a nearby vet they use. Bird was put in incubator with O2 but died during the night. Petco seems to care.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Update:
We named him Petey, he is eating well and drinking well now that I have water in just a little lid. His poops look mostly normal, there are occasional runny ones but with the stress AND a horrible injury I’m not surprised.
He was trying to perch so I put a branch on the floor, he doesn’t attempt to use the bad leg so I figured it was OK. He’s going to the vet tomorrow morning so I’ll update everybody on what happens. Unfortunately it’s not my normal bird vet, she’s on vacation. It is one of her partners who is most familiar with birds so I’m guessing he will be put on an antibiotic until she gets back on Monday.

Attachments

Garet

Real Name
Garet
He's adorable! Keep us all updated with him! :heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's very cute. My local Petsmart is very good about taking birds and other exotics to the vet. In fact, they take them to my birds' vet. :)

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so glad you took him in, the poor little bird. I hope he heals okay!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Any updates?

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Update! So the hip is dislocated and the leg is broken. He is on metacam for pain, an oral antibiotic, a steroid spray and vetericyn spray. The vet wasn’t comfortable doing more but this should work until Monday. He seems much more comfortable now and is very sleepy.
The vet also said he thinks this is most likely caused by the parents and guesses him/her to be only 12-15 weeks old.
On a side note I have no idea how rescues afford to run, the meds alone were $100 and thankfully he only charged me for the X-ray and not the office call since he didn’t really do anything hands-on. I have the best vets ever!
Also, @Lady Jane after I read your comment about the baby looking like a “green bean” it just seemed right, so I talked to my girls and they agreed on the name Bean! We all thought it was much more fitting :xflove: Especially because we don’t know if it’s a boy or girl!

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Bean is a good name! Really 12-15 weeks old? I was thinking more like 7- 10.