• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby parakeet infected leg

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Hey y’all! I know I’ve been MIA for a while, my family is going through some (emotionally) tough times.
BUT while I was at the local chain pet store picking up some millet my daughter came running over saying “there’s something wrong with one of the birds” I went and looked and immediately grabbed it out of the cage and said “this bird need vet care right now” to the nearest employee who responded “well, we don’t do that so it will probably die” I told her then I would be taking it, purchased the millet and some more food bowls and here we are!
It looks necrotic to me, I will try to get an appointment tomorrow but I Can’t remember if my vet works on fridays so it might be Saturday morning that this little guy gets seen. S/he is in a bin, that little foot is almost dead so I didn’t want it getting stuck in bars, I’ll have the heater on tonight but any other suggestions? His other foot is chewed on and he is missing a toe on the other foot so he uses his little beak to help get around.
He tries to perch, should I put a branch on the floor? I just don’t want more damage done :(

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Put him in a box that will restrain him from moving around too much. Keep him very warm (85-90f) and make sure he eats and double sure that he drinks. That is standard comfort care until they can get to a Dr.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Thanks @Hankmacaw I was just trying to think of what to put in the water bowl, I’m afraid if it’s beak and 1 good foot get wet it will get stuck in the bowl. I’m looking around for something I can put in there, I have a sponge but again I don’t want it’s little foot to get stuck in the porous material

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Also, maybe try not using a food bowl and leave the seed with the spray on the floor for easy access. You could also try leaving some lettuce with water drops on it, or use a milk jug lid.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I just put some lettuce leaves in the water so he can nibble/drink and hopefully not get stuck. I’m 99% sure the leg is not going to make it, has anyone heard of leg amputation and how birds handle it? I’m just trying to get prepared, right now is the only time between now and tomorrow afternoon to do any research in case that’s what she wants to do.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow chica you pick the hard ones! You can see the pain in his eyes. So glad you got him.

I got a cat at the shelter once (I’m not a cat person) when they used the same line on me - is it in the script or somthing? The cat had been run over and had a broken hip.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I just put some lettuce leaves in the water so he can nibble/drink and hopefully not get stuck. I’m 99% sure the leg is not going to make it, has anyone heard of leg amputation and how birds handle it? I’m just trying to get prepared, right now is the only time between now and tomorrow afternoon to do any research in case that’s what she wants to do.
They adapt very well. Look for @Garet ’s post about his that lost a leg.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Wow chica you pick the hard ones! You can see the pain in his eyes. So glad you got him.

I got a cat at the shelter once (I’m not a cat person) when they used the same line on me - is it in the script or somthing? The cat had been run over and had a broken hip.
I know, I cried on the way home with him thinking “oh my gosh it’s Jason all over again”. Hopefully this one is just an infection and we can get him all fixed up.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Yep. c: My boy lost his leg and he basically has a little bone sticking out that the vet doesn't want to remove. He climbs, hangs upside down, goes on his swing, flies around, eats, drinks and bathes like normal. Even the fact that the doors are at the top of his cage really don't bother him.The only thing that seems to be bugging him is scratching his head. You could also try putting food and water dishes on the ground as well as up near his perches. I used a little tupperware for his seed and a washed pill bottle crazy glued to a sour cream lid to make it safe for him to drink.

You just have to be careful that he doesn't chew it and provide some safe places. The branches I used for his perches are about as thick as my wrist, he has wicker baskets to sleep in, and a cockatoo toy he uses as a swing. Ladders are also your friend.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
They adapt very well. Look for @Garet ’s post about his that lost a leg.
Yes there have been at least 3 people here who have birds lose a leg or foot since I've been here. They seem to cope quite well and even thrive too. I wish you all the best with him. You're so awesome for saving him ❤

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You may have to make a collar if the bird tries to bite at the wound. I think @Garet used a cup came holder with a hole cut into it.
perhaps he can post some photos. He also got a special cage.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Here's an idea for some stuff you can use;

I know you can't see it, but there's a second perch behind the hanging toy closest to the front of the cage. I chopped off a portion along the branch to essentially make it a platform. The green toy with the bits hanging off is his swing (and the toy furthest to the back was given to me by @SandraK , along with a bunch of other things). Oddly enough, Dorian uses the dish on the ground more than he does, despite being the one with both legs.
:shrug:

You can see one of the wicker baskets here. I moved Dorian's swing in there, too, thinking he'd want to swing even if his buddy couldn't, but they both use it just fine. It's one of those cheap things that come with the cheap, tiny cages, but it's smooth and he can rest his stump on it. (also in the foreground is another toy Sandra sent us).

I think having an able-bodied buddy really does help him, though. That white plastic perch came from Dorian's cage, and they shoved the toy off the perch so Bull could lean against the bars with his buddy snuggled up to his side to help him sleep there.

I tried giving them a hut with a sturdy base, but removed it after neither wanted to use it. :shrug2: It might take a while to get down to where you are, but if you'd like it I can send it on to you.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
You may have to make a collar if the bird tries to bite at the wound. I think @Garet used a cup came holder with a hole cut into it.
perhaps he can post some photos. He also got a special cage.
Here you go. With and without the holders. Be aware that your bird will chew through them. Some days, I had to use two or three. It was actually kind of funny to watch him roll around, trying to gnaw through it.

If you have to replace the tape, use surgical tape. Medical tape did us no good. If your bird needs a cone like mine, please use surgical tape.

I think the vet made it out of sturdy plastic? It seemed very long and kept him from moving around as easily, but it kept him from chewing it.

ETA: I do have a cone from SandraK as well that I could send to you, but I'm not sure if it would be long enough? The cone the vet used on him restricted his flight to keep him from flying and hurting himself.

Attachments

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Oh, and also! The vet recommended letting it fall off on its own and not going through surgery. She gave us baytril to keep him from getting an infection. I was told they'd basically have to sedate him to the point where he was basically dead and bring him back and hope the shock and blood loss didn't kill him. When we went back, she said to leave it alone again, as it was a dry wound instead of an open, wet wound, and less likely to get infected.

We also put polysporin on his leg, but it took forever to dry and seeds kept getting stuck to it.

ETA: Something to perch on might help. I used a little wreath-shaped toy. It helped my boy get up while in his cone.

Last edited:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well, the leg is still pink so there's probably still hope. Beepers toes that got bit all eventually turned black and fell off and she adapted and got around fine. Is the leg cold like it's getting no circulation or is it warm and he's favoring it? I hope it gets better with treatment or eventually gets dealt with so he can adapt and move on, which he will. I also hope whatever drama is going on with your family evens out with everyone happy again and you can hang out here more if you choose.
Hang in there we're all behind you and things will get better :hug8: