• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Murphy broke his leg!!!

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
:sadhug2:

Mrs Featherton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cheri
I do understand that you are careful and I consider you as a responsible owner. But when it comes to reaction time/response time the dog is much faster then us.
So if your dog is going for your bird it will already be to late for Murphy when you see it.
I'm sure of that all people that have accidents (lost their birds) with dogs/cats vs birds never thought they where so fast an did think it was enough to super wise them carefully.
The right instinct for a dog and a cat is to get the bird. For them birds are food, and will always be.
That's why you never should mix a predator and it's pray.

So pics like this is never cute:

Because this is what happens when instinct kicked in: :(

AS I SAID, we are very careful.

VERY CAREFUL.

Very VERY CAREFUL.

No need to keep warning us.

I appreciate the concern.

We have had this dog around all of our birds, rabbitts, kittens, turtles & hedgehogs. She is calm, gentle and well trained. She spends a great deal of time at the vet office with hubby. She has been exposed to literally thousands of animals and never gets riled up or scared or upset.
AND EVEN THEN, she is NEVER left alone in the same room as the bird.
Ever. Never ever.

So while I understand the concern and y’all wanting to be helpful, and I am not trying to offend. But please be assured that we are responsible, intelligent and thoughtful owners.

Thank you.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
AS I SAID, we are very careful.

VERY CAREFUL.

Very VERY CAREFUL.

No need to keep warning us.

I appreciate the concern.

We have had this dog around all of our birds, rabbitts, kittens, turtles & hedgehogs. She is calm, gentle and well trained. She spends a great deal of time at the vet office with hubby. She has been exposed to literally thousands of animals and never gets riled up or scared or upset.
AND EVEN THEN, she is NEVER left alone in the same room as the bird.
Ever. Never ever.

So while I understand the concern and y’all wanting to be helpful, and I am not trying to offend. But please be assured that we are responsible, intelligent and thoughtful owners.

Thank you.

People aren't trying to offend. We have had people, like you, with dogs that were perfect angels for a decade suddenly, sometimes accidentally, kill birds so we just remember those moments when we see photos like that. We remember every death and tragedy and in the 6 years I've been here, I know I've seen enough to last me a lifetime. It's not personal. Our hearts just are still sore.

Mrs Featherton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cheri

People aren't trying to offend. We have had people, like you, with dogs that were perfect angels for a decade suddenly, sometimes accidentally, kill birds so we just remember those moments when we see photos like that. We remember every death and tragedy and in the 6 years I've been here, I know I've seen enough to last me a lifetime. It's not personal. Our hearts just are still sore.
And I TOTALLY GET IT.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Poor baby! Wow... $665. is an expensive cast, but he 'wears it well' as Rod Stewart says! Prayers that he will heal quickly. Reading about the birds and the dogs, etc. reminds me of a story back when Charlie Dog was still alive. (A black Lab). One day he found a baby bird in the yard dropped from the nest, I suppose. He alerted me to the baby bird, and stood over him staring down until I went over to look. I told him GOOD BOY, and left baby so Mama could rescue him later. Charlie Dog was raised with Lucy Bird. :) They loved each other.