• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Murphy broke his leg!!!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Poor boy! Hope he heals quickly! Those muffins come out well:geek:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Dont let him climb, sit on anything, in case he falls,,,sorry little dude, your gonna have to be in a padded cage with no perches for a while..food and water on the bottom..you'll be mad, but you'll get over it. As for medicating, you'll just have to do it orally so he gets the correct dose..hope he heals quickly.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
As for medicating, you'll just have to do it orally so he gets the correct dose.
Agree! Important.
(He’s sitting on my head right now, so I guess he’s forgiven me.... or he just LITERALLY wants to sh1t on me!)
:coffeescreen:
But they are very forgiving.
I'm happy to read that you took him to the vet so fast. That is what a responsible owner do. :)

Heal fast Murphy! :heart:

Last edited:

Mrs Featherton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cheri
First night meds done!

Not as bad as I’d feared, though after a week of this, it’s probably going to take him forever to trust me again.
I hate that. :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
First night meds done!

Not as bad as I’d feared, though after a week of this, it’s probably going to take him forever to trust me again.
I hate that. :(

Don't focus on that. Try to make the experience as positive as possible. They are quite smart though and often know we are the reason they feel better IME :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
it’s probably going to take him forever to trust me again.
No it will not. :) They really are forgiving, and the most important thing you can do for him at the moment is to make sure he gets his meds.
Try to make the experience as positive as possible.
Agree. Just react like this is a daily and normal thing. And after give him a treat and tell him he was a good boy.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Most of us at one time had to give meds by syringe in the beak. It's harder on us than it is in them . He is such a cutie.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Once you have their trust fully they tend to forgive things that used to be a horrible affront and lead to retribution (Da Bites).

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I agree, he Will fogive you! Henkie had to be medicated for a month I think, I did meds every morning and evening. After Some time he accepted that is was nessecary and would jump onto the towel.

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
that birdie cast is so cute! happy he is on the mend! and he will forgive and trust you again, when i brought charlie home, i had to towel and pull a big blood feather within our first week, right after he was hissing at me and wouldn't come near me, i thought for sure i ruined any trust i had. but the next day he forgave me and went back to his normal way with me!
just focus on taking care of him, and make it as positive of an experience as possible and you guys will be just fine!!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
No offense, but I'd watch your pup or put him/her in a different room while Murph is out. That stare would make me feel very uncomfortable about what might happen. And yes, when they're hurt they will use all the cupboard love and "puppy eyes" they have.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Very cute dog! Looks part schnauzer? and good to see Murphy eating, I hope all is better soon. What is the prognosis for his leg? I have 4 schnauzers that would not hurt a flea. But they do not get a chance to go at Louise--ok, one time, the puppy stuck her head in the doorway of the cage, Louise charged and gave her an audible bonk on the head. It could have been worse for either one of them, the puppy does steer clear of Louise now. And I now have a barrier so the dogs cannot stick their heads in...bad things can happen so quickly even though they are trained to stay away--but food is a powerful motivator.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
So sorry for little Murphy :sadhug2:
Glad to hear he's on the mend now. I hope he heals quickly

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's great that Murphy is doing well. When does he go back to vet for a recheck? How long does the cast need to stay on? Sorry for the dangling preposition...LOL.

Mrs Featherton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cheri
It's great that Murphy is doing well. When does he go back to vet for a recheck? How long does the cast need to stay on? Sorry for the dangling preposition...LOL.
He has a quick recheck on Sunday and an appt on the 24th for cast removal.
Since he’s just a baby they figure he’ll heal quickly.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
We’re very careful, but thanks for the advice.
I do understand that you are careful and I consider you as a responsible owner. But when it comes to reaction time/response time the dog is much faster then us.
So if your dog is going for your bird it will already be to late for Murphy when you see it.
I'm sure of that all people that have accidents (lost their birds) with dogs/cats vs birds never thought they where so fast an did think it was enough to super wise them carefully.
The right instinct for a dog and a cat is to get the bird. For them birds are food, and will always be.
That's why you never should mix a predator and it's pray.

So pics like this is never cute:

Because this is what happens when instinct kicked in: :(

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
She’s a yorkie mix. She was staring at the spaghetti. :)
We’re very careful, but thanks for the advice.
She is very cute. My dogs stare at food too...I am prob a little extra on edge as I have an 8 mos old schnauzer. There is a robin that hangs out in my yard and knows exactly how far the dog can go...dive bombs her, she tries to chase... there must be a nest near by.