• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Murphy broke his leg!!!

Mrs Featherton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cheri
BA6E0D3B-033B-4A13-8AC7-F522F008121A.jpeg Poor baby birb Murphy has broken his leg. :(

He was playing with toys on top of his cage last night. Some of the toys are clipped there to prevent him just tossing everything off for a fun game of “Mommy pick this up!”

So not exactly sure where he had his feet, but he was very intently working on toy destruction, when hubby came home and opened our front door (which is about 7 feet from his cage) and I guess Murphy was startled and he flew/jumped up and off his cage, but at the same time he let out a loud screech I’d never heard before and then plummeted to the floor! I jumped up and ran over and it was instantly obvious something was wrong. He was hobbling and dragging a wing so I thought he’d hurt his wing but he was actually just trying to propel himself forward. :(

Well he got his wits about him and before I could scoop him up he flew over and tried to land on the tv, but couldn’t grip it and tumbled off. I went and got a thin towel and had to chase the poor scared guy but finally got him. I know I’ve just blown all of the trust we’ve built up, but I had to get a look at that leg.
It was just hanging limp. Toes not closing... just hanging there.

This happened at 6:45 last night. Vets closed. Called the Emergency Clinic but they had no avian vet available. So I put Murph in his travel cage (which is always set up and ready to go, right under his big cage just in case of emergencies or quick evacuation).

Covered him and decided to see how things looked this morning.

Well, 7 am he was still dragging it. (But eating and drinking - little piggy) so off to our avian vet for 8 am. Was on their doorstep when they opened. Took us right in.

Well, $665 later, he has a fractured tibia tarsus.

Murphy is going to have a cast for 2-3 weeks and pain meds daily.

Poor little pumpkin.

Would love to hear any tips for getting oral meds into a pissed off lovebird that you all may have! Lol

Will post pics of him in his little cast when he gets home.

Now if I can only find a teeny tiny Sharpie to sign it with. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh wow, poor guy!!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Poor bebe but glad you got him in and some pain meds

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor bird. I hope he heals quickly. Can you mix his meds in some juice or something he might take more easily? I haven't done it myself, but the trainer that helps with our local parrot rescue is big on syringe training your bird. Of course, that doesn't help you now, but I plan to start working on it soon.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little Murphy. Hope he heals quickly. You can draw up the medication and then draw up some unsweetened apple juice or other safe unsweetened juice (I have used baby apple juice) which can sometimes help with taking the medication. You can put the med on food such as a small piece of toast or unsalted cracker with a bit of almond butter on it. The problem is that you have to be sure that all of that food is eaten so that he gets all of that dosage. If it is ultra hard to medicate a bird via syringe sometimes vets will compound the medication in the right amount so it can be added to the drinking water. I prefer administering oral medication via syringe because then I am sure my bird is getting the correct dosage.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'd recommend padding the bottom of his cage with towels and possibly use an old quilt around or under his cage in case Murph tries jumping. The smaller the bird the more pig headed they can be ...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What kind of clips were used on the cage for the toys? I know it's likely a freak accident but good to share info to possibly avoid another instance with another bird

Mrs Featherton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cheri
What kind of clips were used on the cage for the toys? I know it's likely a freak accident but good to share info to possibly avoid another instance with another bird
Both binder clips and little wooden clothespins. I’m thinking he maybe got his foot caught in the metal loop of the binder clip. I have now replaced with just the clothespins.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Both binder clips and little wooden clothespins. I’m thinking he maybe got his foot caught in the metal loop of the binder clip. I have now replaced with just the clothespins.

Oh yes, the binder clips are probably the culprit :( Be careful with the clothes pins, too. The wood is safe but the metal is zinc and can cause metal poisoning

Mrs Featherton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cheri
Oh yes, the binder clips are probably the culprit :( Be careful with the clothes pins, too. The wood is safe but the metal is zinc and can cause metal poisoning

Will do. He seems to have an aversion to chewing wood, so hopefully he’ll leave it alone.