• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Moustache Parakeet

Lexie213

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lexie
Hello everyone, I recently got a 2-3 month old Moustache Parakeet which I was told was pretty "tamed", now when I received him he was scared so I let him settled into his new home, he does take food from humans hands. He is now moving around in the cage and chewing toys, etc. It has been two weeks now and I started the step up w the stick. He has climbed out of his cage at times to the top and just walks around yawning and ignores me, when I approach w the stick he immediately starts to chew on the tip and has already took a piece off, after a few tries of chewing the stick he does step up. But I need to know what I am doing wrong? Also if I approach w my hand is there a possibility that he will bite just like he does w the stick? I am not confident and he is not afraid of humans or much noise, please help, thanks.

Questions:
1. What am I doing wrong that he is biting the stick.
2. If I try w my hand will he bite me like the stick.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Birds like to chew. So he probably just thinks you're giving him a toy. Does he have toys in his cage to chew on? I probably would just try to see if he'll step up on my hand/arm. I actually usually put my hand out flat for smaller bird to step up on. That seems often be less threatening to a new bird. And I know it's easy for me to say don't be afraid- but you need to try to not be. I really think birds pick up on fear/nervousness and that either makes them nervous or will let them manipulate you.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and your new charge!
Birds like to chew. So he probably just thinks you're giving him a toy. Does he have toys in his cage to chew on? I probably would just try to see if he'll step up on my hand/arm. I actually usually put my hand out flat for smaller bird to step up on. That seems often be less threatening to a new bird. And I know it's easy for me to say don't be afraid- but you need to try to not be. I really think birds pick up on fear/nervousness and that either makes them nervous or will let them manipulate you.
...good advice. :)

Let me also stress that birds WILL pick up your nervousness/ fear...and reflect that back to you, amplifying the situation. Calm and confident is what you want to project...:)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting your Moustache Parakeet. Does he have a name?

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcome2: Lexie and congrats on the new addition to your family!

Try offering the stick crossways so that he can't reach the tip. Also be sure to reinforce his stepping up each time so that he is more likely to step up the next time you ask. Reinforcement could be a treat (since he takes food from your hand). Once that is going well, you could try exactly the same using your hand/arm. Reinforcing the step up every time is important. Later natural reinforcers will come into play like you taking him to a favourite place or playing with him, praise, laughter, etc.

Birds usually give plenty of body language to warn you they are going to bite. If you ignore all this very obvious (to the bird) body language, that's when you are likely to get bitten. If you get body language that says "no, I'm not ready to step up yet", leave him be and try again in a few minutes. If it is reinforcing to step up he will do, again and again. Make it reinforcing!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Lexie :fairy2:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Toby! :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to the forum Toby and Lexie! :fairy:

Toby is still a very young little guy. He will be learning about the world and beaks are the way birds explore. I think if he is willing to test you out it is a good sign. If he is running to the back of the cage and lashing about then I would be more concerned that he has a fear of hands. My plumhead, also an asiatic parrot, was very beaky when he was that young.

This is what worked for Pi, my plumhead, I didn't reach in the cage to get him for several weeks. I would open his cage door and let him climb out on his own. When he was on top of his cage or standing on the door to the cage I would ask him to step up and immediately reward him with a treat. He is very good at step up now, and I can easily ask him to step up from within the cage. Asiatic parrots get very stressed when they feel trapped. It is a common for them to become overwhelmed by things entering their cage. I do not believe it is related to territoriality, as they are seasonal breeders and are pretty picky about nests. It seems to be that they are just scared that they have no choice to fly away if they wanted to. In nature they live in large flocks and don't really have their own bed room "cage". Many times a fearful asiatic will be totally different outside of the cage.

Allowing him to come out on his own and building trust in an open environment will give Toby an added security. He has some choice and can decide to get away if he is overwhelmed. If you work on training and are a fun and interesting person in his eyes he will come around. Once you have won the heart of an asiatic parrot you are going to have a lovely life together. They are so sweet and charming.

I can't wait to see more pictures of Toby! He must be so cute!