1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Mouse Bird South Africa

Discussion in 'Softbill Circle' started by Tammy Burton, 10/8/17.

1. Tammy Burton

Tammy Burton Checking out the neighborhood

Tammy
    Hi there
    Please can someone provide me with some advice. I have been caring for a baby muisvoel for 3 days. I am not sure what species it is.

I dont know how old it is and not sure what to feed it and how much to feed it.

I have been giving it pieces of bananna, apple, grape, strawberry and orange as well as pieces of boiled egg and sliced carrot every hour (about 2 teaspoons of food).

Im not sure if i should be giving ut water too via a syringe?

Should i be giving it human baby food too?

The little guy has feathers. When can they stand? I am worried he has hurt himself from falling out of nest. But he does flap his wings now and again.

Please help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 10/8/17
  2. snada

snada Strolling the yard

Sarah
    Hi there and welcome :bounce3:

That is a very young Speckled Mousebird. They need to be kept very warm. You can give them fruit purity and bits of fruit like Paw Paw, grapes, apples, raspberries, pear, mango, lychees, watercrest. There is no need to offer water from the syringe as he gets enough water from the fruit. Please do not give them any citrus fruits or anything with a high iron content. Where are you located? I am located in Durban. I rehab a lot of mousebirds. You can always contact me if you have any more questions on 0728010606 You can call me or whatsapp :marlenesmile:

faislaq, SandraK and Hankmacaw like this.
  3. Tammy Burton

Tammy
    Thanks very much. I found a lady here in pe that rehabs them. She will be taking it tomorrow.

sunnysmom and SandraK like this.
  4. Tammy Burton

Tammy
    Hi all
    Our baby mouse bitd nicknamed pear is doing very well. I found a lady in pe who is taking care of her. She is safe and sound in a bird rehab centre being nursed by other nursing birds

Dartman and snada like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)