• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Mouse Bird South Africa

Tammy Burton

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tammy
Hi there
Please can someone provide me with some advice. I have been caring for a baby muisvoel for 3 days. I am not sure what species it is.

I dont know how old it is and not sure what to feed it and how much to feed it.

I have been giving it pieces of bananna, apple, grape, strawberry and orange as well as pieces of boiled egg and sliced carrot every hour (about 2 teaspoons of food).

Im not sure if i should be giving ut water too via a syringe?

Should i be giving it human baby food too?

The little guy has feathers. When can they stand? I am worried he has hurt himself from falling out of nest. But he does flap his wings now and again.

Please help.

Attachments

Last edited:

snada

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Hi there and welcome :bounce3:

That is a very young Speckled Mousebird. They need to be kept very warm. You can give them fruit purity and bits of fruit like Paw Paw, grapes, apples, raspberries, pear, mango, lychees, watercrest. There is no need to offer water from the syringe as he gets enough water from the fruit. Please do not give them any citrus fruits or anything with a high iron content. Where are you located? I am located in Durban. I rehab a lot of mousebirds. You can always contact me if you have any more questions on 0728010606 You can call me or whatsapp :marlenesmile:

Tammy Burton

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tammy
Hi all
Our baby mouse bitd nicknamed pear is doing very well. I found a lady in pe who is taking care of her. She is safe and sound in a bird rehab centre being nursed by other nursing birds

Tanith

Moving in
Real Name
Tanith
Hi there. Is it okay to give the baby mouse bird AV plus? I got one today that another lady picked up. It's still quite small. I know to feed it fruit and to poop it but I don't know what else they can eat? I tried meal worm but it spat it out a few times, didnt eat it.
Please help