• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby-Making Considerations

TippiBird

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rae
Hi guys! I'm in need of some help.
I've had my female 14 y/o Congo for 13 years, but I think she could be happier if she were not in an indoor cage and got more attention (I live in a coop so she lives with my parents). Someone coming over to do house repairs saw her and said he has been looking for a mate for his 20 y/o male Grey, who lives in a large outdoor area that I am welcome to examine. They would have chicks and he plans to keep them and basically have a parrot family. I have zero knowledge on this subject.

a) Would they keep reproducing until they weren't mating age anymore, meaning there would be an endless stream of babies?
b) Is there a possibility the babies would reproduce with each other?
c) What are the chances that my Grey and his will actually like each other, and how will I know? I know some birds just don't get along well, is there a chance my Grey could get hurt?
*I will post this on Avian Avenue as well, but thought there could be some important info that is Grey-specific

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He doesn't want to sell any future babies??? Also, domestic parrots that have been pets often never produce. She's better off as your pet, IMO.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
When you say kept in an indoor cage, does your Grey get to come out of the cage and spend time with you everyday?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
The chances that your parrot and his parrot got along are marginal at best. If your bird has been an only bird all her life, she's probably used to being an only bird and likes being an only bird, but it's hard to tell. If his bird is a domestically raised, handfed bird, chances are not likely that he will be a good candidate for ever knowing how to mate with a female, but this is not a bad thing because, ulitmately, does he have any clue as to what he is doing? I'ts a nostalgic thought to want to have a male and a female bird living together in harmony and to have a little parrot family but it's not reality. It would be great if they have a bird they can form a mated bond with but having babies is a whole different ball of wax. Babies are hard to raise if the parents aren't willing or don't know what to do with them and what do you do with the babies once they become adults?

Ultimately, it's not bad to question if your grey is happy or not but I do think that they can be happy as single birds. If you truly don't think your bird is happy with you, it doesn't mean giving her to a stranger who has a male is the right thing to do. I think this person has too many romantic ideas.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That guy will let them breed and keep all of the babies and then what? Do the same thing every year for the rest of their lives?

I understand the question of whether single parrots could benefit from parrot companionship, but this guy's plan seems poorly thought out.