• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby lovebird missing lower beak

Raquel & Julio

Checking out the neighborhood
we have a 2 1/2 week old baby lovebird that appears to be missing it's lower beak. this morning it looked like one of the parents stacked the baby - blood on the baby and nesting paper. We don't know if the beak is a birth defect or from the attack. Will the beak grow back? if not, can the bird survive without it? We didn't know our two lovebirds were male and female, so this whole baby bird experience is new to us.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Welcome! I’m sorry to say if the beak was torn out from an attack it unlikely that it will grow back. Here’s a link on the different possibilities and situations. I’ve known a couple of birds with partial beaks that did just fine, though I’m not sure with missing the whole the lower beak. I would think if it was syringe fed it should be able to make it. :shrug:

Broken / Cracked Beaks | Beauty of Birds

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Sorry that this happened to the little bub! Are the parents still feeding and caring for the little one? If they aren't, then you will need to become the new parent and hand feed the little one if he still needs to be fed.

As for the lower mandible missing, can you post a picture so we can see? I am thinking to wean the little one onto soft mashes and cooked foods. It can be done with great success.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that your baby was injured. Birds can survive with missing beaks and missing parts of beaks. Soft food will be the way to go. Hope all will be well with the baby. You may have to pull it and hand feed it if you think it got injured by the parents. Keep us updated.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Take baby away, and have vet look at it, may need pain meds and antibiotics,,hope hes ok,, you'll have to hand feed and be very careful,,, the beak may grow back as long as the injury didnt affect the blood supply,,,vet check first..high Hope's here.:hug8: