• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Jay

JayTheBird

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
kelsea
I'm not sure where else to go about this i tried a different forum but they haven't accepted my account yet and i really need to know now i cant wait...
I have a baby cockateil named Jay. And i mean REALLY young. and i'm hand raising him. He wont accept the hand feeding thing and his mom is gone... so he doesn't have a mother or siblings. i'm using Kaytee exact hand feeding formula and syringes. I tried a spoon but he wouldn't use it. He eats a little but he pushes it out of his mouth sometimes. I'm really worried. am i doing something wrong?

Attachments

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
:bump8:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm sorry I have no experience in this area, but I hope someone will come along with some advice. Welcome to the forum, and I hope your little baby eats soon!:heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How warm is the formula? You may want to consider mixing some organic baby food into the formula.
Do you have any experience handfeeding? Can you contact a local breeder or vet's office who might help guide you with the handfeeding?

Here is an article about handfeeding for you:
Handfeeding Step-By-Step

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Adding: Welcome to AA and hope all goes well with Baby Jay.

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
:bump4:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Welcome to AA:hug8:Here are a bunch of links on feeding and caring for a baby Jay Google
I raised one by feeding it soaked dry dog food and worms,berries,veggies-they will eat just about anything.Good luck with him:hug8:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
try this put him in small bowl lined with paper towels. you will need to tap softly on the edge of the bowl and get feeding response (gaping) or tap on his beak very gently with the end of the syringe and see if you get a gaping response. the moment you get the gaping feed him.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is Baby Jay doing?

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't feed him worms and berries. I think that person assumed he was a blue jay, not a cockatiel. For a cockatiel that recently was taken away from his parents, a syringe is fine, but it will likely take him a day to figure out that it means food. Maybe longer if you also are new to hand-feeding. First, make sure the baby is warm enough. He should probably have just a little bit of supplemental heat at his age. You don't want him panting or shivering. A heating pad under an aquarium with a buffer between him and the pad that he can't crawl under and burn himself set on low might be an option.

Also make sure the formula is warm enough. If it takes you more than a few seconds to get him positioned for feeding, the formula may have dropped to an unappetizing temperature. Leave the syringe in warm water heated to 105 Degrees F and don't take it out of the water until you have him positioned and his head up. It also helps to have the tip of the syringe at 105 degrees. Sometimes if the syringe tip gets cold, even if the formula is warm, they won't take it. It also helps to have just a tiny drip of warm water on the tip of the syringe and hold it up to the side of the baby's beak. Do not give him just plain water from a syringe as they can quickly aspirate on thin fluids. But a moist tip with just a drip that can seep into the side of the beak will often trigger feeding. Normally something warm and wet touching the side of the beak will trigger a feeding response.
Otherwise, make sure you have a gram scale so you can track his growth, and if his crop doesn't empty every 6-8 hours, you may need to take him to the vet. Sick babies can also refuse formula.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Welcome to AA:hug8:Here are a bunch of links on feeding and caring for a baby Jay Google
I raised one by feeding it soaked dry dog food and worms,berries,veggies-they will eat just about anything.Good luck with him:hug8:
I think it's a baby tiel name Jay not an actual baby blue jay. I thought he meant a baby blue jay too.