• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Green Wing macaw refusing formula at 11 weeks old

chad84

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I have a baby green wing macaw. His name is Robert (wife named him). He is about 11 weeks old. Got him from a friend as a gift. He told me he was about 8 weeks old at the time and I have had him for about 3 weeks. I am not really sure of his age. Can you judge by the pictures?

I have 2 issues.

2 days ago he hasn't been taking all of his Kaytee Exact hand feeding formula for baby macaws. He usually takes about 90cc 3 times a day. I add 4 drops of Bragg's Apple Cider Vineger and 2 drop Multivit CH to his food. He weighs about 1035g at 11 weeks old. He started refusing formula after he has had about 45 - 60cc. I also noticed he is not doing the head bobbing (begging for food) as he used to. Sometimes he doesn't bob at all. He has been panting a bit after playing alot and I took him to vet today who said he has respiratory infection. He gave me antibiotic to feed him orally for 5 days 2x a day. He started refusing food before I gave him the antibiotic.

Second issue, I caught playing with his poop. I caught him 3 times. Don't know if he is eating it but it scared me. I decided to cut up some banana and give to him to see what happens. He ate it all up. This puzzles me. I just fed him formula again and he wasted half. But right after he had a good bit of banana. Also tell me if his poop looks ok.

Other than that he is playing alot and following me around the house. He nibbles on my toes and is always playing with his toys. He isn't acting sick in any way. He is active about 10hrs a day and sleeps about 14hrs a day.

Posted pictures below.

Videos in youtube.

Can you assist me?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Good you took him to the vet. Give him the medicine as prescribed & hopefully his appetite returns.
Call the vet & ask for advise if he doesn't eat well. Did you tell the vet you were adding vitamins to his formula?
I would think it already has vitamins & sometimes too much is not good.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Weigh him every morning at the same time after his first poop and before breakfast. Write down the weight in grams every morning.

If he has an infection that will cause lack of interest in food. Because he is close to fledgling he may drop weight and you want to watch that .

chad84

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Yes the vet told me to boost hit vitamins even though the kaytee exact has enough. He said he has a deficiency and needs extra for a week or two. I don't record the weight but i remember the last few mentally. He gained from 850 to 1035 in 2 weeks. I really hope his appetite returns.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
There's always a drop in weight prior to first flights.
What temperature is the formula? that's very important too.
At this age, it's also the ideal time to offer simple food items rather than to offer actual toys or wood blocks.
A small chunk of papaya or mango, small slice of red bell peppers...even some cheerios...small items he can hold & eat.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If he's more interested in "real" food, I'd offer more of that, by hand.

chad84

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
He is taking food from my hand. When his crop has food he plays with it. But when he is hungry he eats it. Formula is fed at 105 degs. So remove the toys and just leave food?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Just watch his weight and continue the antibiotics. Plenty of fun foods to play with will get him sampling new foods. He can have toys but when he is hungry best to only have the food available, they don't know the difference at that age.

If he is begging and won't eat formula warm some sweet potato or other food mush and feed him from a spoon. It gives him comfort and gets food in his crop.

Cute baby! I'm quite fond of him.

chad84

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
He is not begging for the food. That's what's worrying me. He hasn't done the head bob in 2 days. I just open his mouth and look at his throat to see when airway is closed and give him a little formula. Takes 30mins. I want him to beg again. He is only eat 45cc of the 90cc he usually eats 3 times a day.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Is he starting to flap a lot?

Did your vet do a culture?

Did the vet do xrays?

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
He is taking food from my hand. When his crop has food he plays with it. But when he is hungry he eats it. Formula is fed at 105 degs. So remove the toys and just leave food?
Yes. That was the advice I had from Dr Brian Speer (co-author of The Large Macaws) when he met the
3 baby GW's I raised....remove all toy type items, switch that to food items. This age is when they are very curious and
love to experiment & try new things.
You don't want to miss that window.

chad84

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
He is flapping his wings plenty. For no reason at all. No vet didn't do cultures or x rays. He did some inspections and said it looks bacterial and not viral or fungal. He listened to the bird too.

I removed all his toys and left food only. What type of foods should i leave in there? I have papaya and banana, broccoli, red pepper and carrots right now. I am buying zupreem natural pellet and will moisten them for him to try.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Cheerios, corn, peas, whole grain bread chunks, good pasta (rotini, bow ties, interesting shapes), berries, etc. I'd offer them different ways, too: cooked, raw, cut up different ways.

To me, the flapping is for a reason: building up muscles in preparation for flight.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Don't leave the food

To me, the flapping is for a reason: building up muscles in preparation for flight.
For sure it is!
I miss the days of 3 of them flapping for days on end - then suddenly, up they go, first flights. Rather exhilarating - for them, and us.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He is flapping his wings plenty. For no reason at all. No vet didn't do cultures or x rays. He did some inspections and said it looks bacterial and not viral or fungal. He listened to the bird too.

I removed all his toys and left food only. What type of foods should i leave in there? I have papaya and banana, broccoli, red pepper and carrots right now. I am buying zupreem natural pellet and will moisten them for him to try.

Besides moistening with water, you could entice with fruit juices, too. Unsweetened coconut flakes might be interesting, too.

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
He's really beautiful! Such an exciting time...the flapping is definitely getting his muscles ready for flight!

chad84

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
So much is involved to raise your (baby) life companion. I am glad the wife and I were prepared. I read so many articles. He plays with me alot but submits to my wife. As soon as she enters the room he bows down to the ground and fluffs. But if I enter, he jumps at me and starts nibbling.

Can't wait for him to go through each stage. So excited. Will be patient with him.

chad84

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
He finally ate some food. 60cc of formula. But I had to mix it in with some vanilla yogurt. He did head bob for 45cc of it and the rest i put on his tongue and he swallowed.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
The flapping for no reason sounds like he's starting to fledge. Lucky you - I don't think Kirby did that until he was 13 years old! :blink: The name Robert tickles me.

I agree about providing a a barrage of new, healthy foods. You have to walk a tightrope between what will get them interested and what you want them to eat forever. Things like cheerios are on the 'get them interested' list, but not something that is going to be anything more than a treat in the future. Pellets are a good thing, but pick a high quality brand and offer that from the start. Sometimes it's really difficult to convert them from the fruity pellets to the better choices. I would focus a lot on veggies. Like babies, they will always go for the fruits and things like that because of the sugar. Try things raw and steamed or cooked - the darker the meat of the veggie, usually more nutrients. Carrots, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, dark leafy greens (and watercress, which isn't dark but is apparently the best of them all) are all really good and part of what you want him to eat going forward. Blueberries, papaya, pomegranite are good foods (warning about pommies - more than one person has had the "OMG, there's blood EVERYWHERE." moment!) Bananas are always a favorite around my house. Rocky will eat carrots and beet greens before eating fruit. I find that greens are always a challenge. So good for them, but probably not as satisfying with the lack of crunch or sweetness. Lots of things can be hidden in cooked sweet potatoes and squash. My guys get almond butter toast as a treat as well. And, if you can, start sprouting and get him eating sprouted seeds. I did not get a chance (or know enough) to do this when mine were babies, and now they just will not warm up to sprouts no matter how I try.

Good luck! Robert sure is handsome!

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Where are you located? I want to meet your friend and become his/her friend.

Your baby is beautiful and I think he is just growing and may be more interested in the real food offered to him than baby formula.