• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby GCCs

gptb2020

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaden
Our Yellow sided GCC and turquoise GCC are female and male and caged together. So I'm wondering, when they have babies (because I'm sure they will) what should I do? It would be SUPER amazing for a scale that I can use for feeding. (Like 1-4 days 1 or 2 cc, basically just a chart to follow. It'd be super awesome.) also with that chart some feeding times. (Like 1-4 days every hour. Basically like that.) thanks!!!!

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
In my opinion the best thing is to not allow them to produce chicks.

It's in their best interest, and future chicks interest, to not allow them to breed.

Raising babies is a very difficult thing with tons of risk for the hen as well as the babies; egg binding and the dangers with hand feeding etc.
Finding responsible homes for all the chicks, and every clutch after that, will be quite tough as well.

It is much easier to just house your two cheekie's in two separate cages and not allow them to mate, so that's what I'd personally recommend. :)

gptb2020

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaden

It's in their best interest, and future chicks interest, to not allow them to breed.

Raising babies is a very difficult thing with tons of risk for the hen as well as the babies; egg binding and the dangers with hand feeding etc.
Finding responsible homes for all the chicks, and every clutch after that, will be quite tough as well.

It is much easier to just house your two cheekie's in two separate cages and not allow them to mate, so that's what I'd personally recommend. :)
I want to have babies though.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you are thinking about letting them breed, you need to get a gram scale, a brooder that holds temp in the mid 90's F at least and then make sure you have syringes and disinfectants. Amount fed and how often depends on how old the babies are when you are hand-feeding. Much of it depends on feel/intuition and what the babies are doing rather than a set schedule. You have a whole bunch more reading to do before thinking about letting your birds produce. Otherwise, its likely to just lead to loss of life. Get the book hand-feeding and Nursery management by Howard Voren and Rick Jorden. Its a little dated but its the authority on how to raise baby birds. Ideally, you let the parents feed for at least the first 10 days. However, if you aren't set up to be able to hand-feed from day one, that is like tempting fate to give you parents that won't feed or keep babies warm which gets us back to bringing a life into the world and then letting it die because you aren't prepared with the right equipment or skills to save it.

Scott Norman

Meeting neighbors
I had baby's and the parents raised them . I kept 1 of the baby's and gave 2 away . They have a great new home .

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

Yes please from someone with 14 babies that need homes...

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I want to have babies though.
There are enough breeders that know what they are doing without another person adding to mix...breeding and hand raising babies isn't all that easy and you could very well end up with a dead hen and no babies all because you wanted babies...how long have you been keeping birds for ...have you done any research on breeding and hand raising babies ....do you have the money for vet fees if needed which could run you in the high hundreds ... there are so many things that can go wrong do you want to endanger your hen like that ....just because you can produce chicks doesn't mean you should :blink: