• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby GCC or 2 year old..

cydneyrella

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Cydney
Hi! I know Ive asked similar questions but I think I e decided I want a GCC! :D I found someone with a 2 y/o pineapple GCC who is beautiful, but apparently tries to bite at first, but then is sweet once she knows you.The person sas shes getting rid of hwr becauseher new apartment and only had her for a month but was from a pet store. I found 2 different people with yellow sided(one maybe a turquoise) GCC that will be ready in a few weeks. I dont knowwhether i should go with the 2 year old because I heard they go through a very nippy stage at 6 months. Or start with a little baby. Thanks!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
They all go through a nippy phase. If you look around at those of us who have had youngsters, most have gone through the chomper phase. Both of my older YS girls are sweet as can be but they do get nippy or try to get away with it. Meet the older bird before you decide...visit a couple of times. A baby is adorable but you will have to invest time in the nippy phase either way.

cydneyrella

Real Name
Cydney
@webchirp oh okay. The problem is they are both 6 hours away. What Im afraid of is, will the older one like me or bond to me since its older? Thanks!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I drove just a little over six hours to get Zia from a rescue. Walked in, danced with her a bit and off we went. She at this moment is my most clingy bird and wants absolutely nothing to do with any of the other birds, watches me like a hawk and follows me everywhere she can. If I am changing the papers on her cage, she climbs up on the door frame right under my nose to get attention. Zephyr the one who was younger loves me but has more focus on his girlfriend Jewel. They are all just so different. But I will say seeing Zephyr grow out of his baby phase and become more independent makes me miss his baby ways where Zia will always be at the maturity level she is now. I don't see her preference for me changing anytime soon. It's hard to resist a baby but the mature cheekies sure do have a lot to offer too. There is no guarantee that one will like you. You may want to ask if s/he has a preference for men, women, kids. I do find the greencheeks are very much drawn to teens and kids. Not sure if it is the energy level or what. While mine like me, the majority of them would dump me for a teenaged person in a heartbeat. Giggie loves my grandbaby. Kari prefers guys... They are all unique.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
And a month isn't enough time to really see what the bird would be like. If she is nipping initially and then sweet after, to me that would be her way of testing to see if she can get you to leave her be...I would be more inclined to go for the rehome but that is just my preference. Although I say that not being faced with a batch of babies. Lord help me if someone put them under my nose and said take them. :wideyed: But it is sad that there are so many rehomes. I was asked to take four different conures in December and I was just asked by someone who knows several different people that want to find a new home for theirs.

Lockwood

Strolling the yard
I was asked to take four different conures in December and I was just asked by someone who knows several different people that want to find a new home for theirs.
Wow! Although I've been cruising CL, kiijiji, and other listings, I don't seem to be able to find the rehomes here in western PA. Babies are cute, and eventually I may buy one, but I seem to have a heart for those who desperately need a good home like Perry did.
Anyway, I'm close to the OH line and while I wasn't planning on a gcc until probably fall, if a good bird needs a home...... my arm could be twisted a little. :)

cydneyrella

Real Name
Cydney
Thanks so much! I was really leaning towards the rehome anyway! And i as thinking it would be much better than getting one from a breeder :) I am currently trying to set up a day to get her.. eek!!

Cahtie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Misty
Just gotta say that, baby or adult, conures, especially gcc and their various types, are known to be nippy. And by nippy, I mean biters. You have to be prepared that you will get bitten hard at some point, and possibly quite often, depending on the bird. Some never do bite but that's the exception from what I've learned.

The thing is, they are such adorable, lovable little clowns that they're fully worth the occasional war wound. My rosifron constantly chews on me if she can catch my fingers (I've gotten very deft at keeping them out of her beak lol). But I love her to pieces and don't even think about the nips.

So yes..conures bite (birds in general do). Just go for whichever one attracts you the most and love them for who they are. Their sass is adorable :)

Cahtie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Misty
And I just noticed this is an old thread. I'm curious if you ended up with one of them though.