• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby doesn't want to be in her cage.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I definitely think she needs to sleep in a room where you are not at. If that means a smaller sleep cage in another room, or wheeling her cage to another part of the home, so be it. If she is constantly with you all the time, then that is just reinforcing what you are trying to prevent.

Fairu

Moving in
I definitely think she needs to sleep in a room where you are not at. If that means a smaller sleep cage in another room, or wheeling her cage to another part of the home, so be it. If she is constantly with you all the time, then that is just reinforcing what you are trying to prevent.
I completely understand. Unfortunately our current living situation doesn't allow for that. We plan on moving as soon as we find a new house which will hopefully be later this year or early next.

We were discussing a schedule that we can easily stick to for set cage times and set bed time. So there's less surprise and hopefully less push back from her about going back to her cage. And of course we would leave the room for those times so she can get used to having alone time.

Though the night time is still an issue since we can't move her out of this room. We're going to try a set time for cage covering, then spend some time away from the room for her to settle down before coming back and quietly going to bed. :roflmao:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, set cage times are important both for you and for her. My babies know when they get held, and even who gets held when; it really cuts down on the fussing. (If I miss the window, then they fuss, and I "negotiate" with words they know, lol.) Even from my most attached lovie (Twinkie), who used to do the anxious dancing, desperate noises, etc.

Hmm, well, if you leave the room, she'll just wake when you come back in. You can try just saying goodnight when you cover her and then not uncover her until morning. But if you're staying up past her in the same room, I can see where she'd fuss more. I was going to say that a night cage in another room might not be a bad idea because then she can have a restful, defined bedtime while you guys stay up until you're ready for bed, but...I see your situation doesn't allow for that.

Last edited:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you everyone for your advice, this is our first lovebird and I'd like to do things as correctly as possible. She is very sweet and playful and we just want her to stay happy and healthy.
You sound like you're going to be good lovebirdy parents! You just happened to get a very dependent lovie. Brings back memories of Twinkie when he was a baby! Don't worry, she will adjust.

Fairu

Moving in
Yes, set cage times are important both for you and for her. My babies know when they get held, and even who gets held when; it really cuts down on the fussing. (If I miss the window, then they fuss, and I "negotiate" with words they know, lol.) Even from my most attached lovie (Twinkie), who used to do the anxious dancing, desperate noises, etc.

Hmm, well, if you leave the room, she'll just wake when you come back in. You can try just saying goodnight when you cover her and then not uncover her until morning. But if you're staying up past her in the same room, I can see where she'd fuss more. I was going to say that a night cage in another room might not be a bad idea because then she can have a restful, defined bedtime while you guys stay up until you're ready for bed, but...I see your situation doesn't allow for that.
We set her in her cage for an hour before bedtime and gave her some space so she can get adjusted to her cage before the lights go off. Unfortunately that lead to an hour of begging, but I'd say it wasn't a failure. She learned where the food and water is, and even how to move around the cage without running around the bars.

When it came to bedtime we covered her cage and said "Goodnight" then heard no peep from her all night.

Although I think this made her mad at me in particular because now she's started to bite my neck pretty hard. Not fun :sad8:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good! She will probably act out (like the neck biting) to try to push or break the boundaries she dislikes, but stick to your guns!

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
We have had our baby lovebird for about five days now and are just starting to deal with the same issue. If we put him in his cage he will pace back and forth on the bottom of the cage and call to be let out. Hoping to also break the habit and have him so he is comfortable in his cage.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Emmilyy Baby has just come home and doesn't know his place in his new world! :) He will settle, just be patient and consistent.