• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby crow help!- Sad Update Post #7

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
hey friends! I found a baby crow on a walk this morning, we were walking past a 6 acre lot that got cut down yesterday and found him on the ground. He was very weak and is in the "scruffy" stage where he has 3/4 adult feathers, some baby down, and TONS of pinnies. We got looked around to see if there were any more babies and a momma but could not find anything among all the felled trees :( I carried him back to my sister in laws house and immediately gave him some water with a baby syringe. I got him a box with paper towels in the bottom and he was so tired he could barely hold his head up longer than 3-4 seconds.
I have literally called every rehab, wildlife center, zoo, and bird store in a 5 hour radius from me and no one will take him! I called my parrot store becaus I know I've seen a pet raven in there for boarding before and they said to tilt his head back and feed him watered down canned cat food. We did that (about 2ccs at a time) over the last 2 hours and he has perked up a bit and even made a noise.
He is so little and pathetic, we are taking him home tomorrow with us and I need any and all advice! Different food I should be giving him, any rescues anyone knows of in the west Michigan area, anything helpful!! I think he has a good chance, the poor guy just had his home destroyed :(
We went back and looked around, we found so many dead birds and even a dead family of squirrels. I get it can't be avoided but it's still heart breaking.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Ravens are my favorite wild bird. I had a crippled Raven that I named fred come to my yard for food for 7/8 years. He died last Oct. and it was awful to lose him.

Your baby will clone to you, so you have him for life. He will eat dry cat food when he grows up and love a bite of raw hamburger now and then. Maybe when he gets a little older you can reintroduce him to the wild - but that is risky. Ravens are so smart that they are scary.

I wish I could remember the Raven in Vancouver(?) that adopted a man - quite a story.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Aw! That's so sweet @Hankmacaw ! I'm sorry for your loss! I'm glad to know mushy cat food was correct!

I am waiting on a few calls of potential leads to take him.

I have a large bird cage (fritz's "travel cage") that we could put him in if we don't find him another home. Can I keep him in the same area as Fritz? Or would it be better to put the baby upstairs on a different floor? Obviously they would NOT come in contact with each other and there would be lots of sanitizer and hand washing before/after handling either of them.
I already called my bird vet and was told legally she can't make an appointment for a wild bird but if I bring him in unannounced she could maybe take a peek at him

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Hankmacaw, that's Shawn who has " Canuck"?
Anyways, feed that baby soaked kittie kibble and also try drowned mealworms, scramble eggs, even a bit of wet dog food won't hurt, just get him eating! Google what to feed crows,,,even look Shawn up on Facebook, under " Canuck and I " he may answer you. Only message him privately. If you're vet is willing to look and him " undercover" and you trust her,,then do it.
I wish I was there to help you. Let us know, ssshhh, it's a secret, don't tell friends or neighbors that may say something to the wrong people.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I recommend dry cat food that you soak in hot water for a few minutes. Canned cat food as with dog Food, is lacking the protein and too high in salt.

Any pics of the baby?

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Hey guys, we just got back from dinner and he had passed away while we were gone :( I feel horrible but know I tried my best and made him as comfortable as possible while we had him. Thank you everyone for all your help!! IMG_3515.JPG

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry Jenelle. Poor little guy probably didn't have a chance. You saved him from dying alone and a predator getting him.

Nature is very, very tough.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I'm very sad, but at the same time it is almost a relief, I have literally spent my entire day trying to find a place for him and was panicking about what might happen to Fritz, not to mention it's illegal to have one.
We are in northern Michigan for the weekend and there is a ton of wild animals and people's dogs that could have mauled it, at least he was safe :sad11:

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Aww, I'm sorry he didn't make it. :( Thank you for helping him! :hug8:

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Hugs! You did so well trying to take care of the sweetie! :sadhug2:

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Oh I'm so sorry you lost him :(

It happens a lot with wildlife, just remember that even the best wildlife rescuers usually have around a 50% success rate.

If you ever need help with something like this again, I have a list of all the rehabbers in the country (I'm a rehabber and the national wildlife rehabilitation association gives out a list of all the other people who take care of wildlife).

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for trying. So sorry that the baby did not make it.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thank you so much for making this little baby's last day full of love and caring. I'm so sorry he passed away.
:sadhug2:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I am so sorry for your loss, thank you for trying to help him.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I am so sorry that your new friend didn't make it. I have lost quite a few baby birds throughout my lifetime. I have always wanted a crow or raven. Most I ever did for one of them was last summer when I picked a fledgling crow up off the very busy street and moved him to a bush... all the while being dive bombed on by the parents! It's hard with birds. Especially very young ones. I am still surprised at how well Miyetti did last summer...

Thanks for trying. They are all worth it. He/she at least passed more comfortably than they probably would have otherwise.