• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby Conure won't Eat!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I were you and the bird is hand feeding I would go out and purchase a new container of hand feeding formula instead of what the breeder gave you. You have no clue how old that formula is. I would also spoon feed instead of syringe feed since you are inexperienced and were not shown what to do. When you syringe feed you have to place the tip of the syringe into the left side of the bird's mouth (your right) and then aim it towards the back right side. If you don't do it correctly you can aspirate the baby (food goes down the trachea instead of into the crop). Spoon feeding is generally less risky. Are you taking/did you take the baby to the vet? Did you purchase a gram scale to monitor the weight? Is the baby warm enough wherever you are keeping him/her?
I hand fed my first Dusky Conure from about 5 weeks of age. The breeder sat down with me and took the time to show me what to do and to watch me. I could also call if I had any questions or concerns. Don't know when pre-made formulas became available but back then the formula consisted of monkey chow biscuits (softened with hot water and then finely mashed), avian vitamins, and a few other things (don't remember now). Riley was weaned onto seeds, pellets, fruits and vegetables. I think she was about 11 weeks old when she weaned.
I have the most experience raising and hand feeding red-bellied parrots. It was great that hand feeding formulas were available then so I didn't have to deal with the monkey chow biscuit stuff. Their weaning foods consisted of mixed veggies (carrots, peas, corn, green beans, broccoli, etc), pears and apples (skins removed), Cheerios, pellets (at first softened and then not softened), seed mix, Avicakes, millet spray. They weaned at various ages so one can generalize a range of weaning ages for different species of birds but it does vary with the individual bird.
I hope that all will be well with your baby. That breeder was irresponsible, IMO.

Ultramandyna

Strolling the yard
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for the help! I got Kiwi to the vet and the vet checked everything! Pricey but worth it! Kiwi is very healthy, has no infections, and just needed some encouragement to eat on her own! She ended up just avoiding the baby food completely and just went to eating a pellet formula with veggies and fruits. I had to feed her pellets one at a time until she started eating them on her own, but she's learned to eat on her own and she definitely eats a lot.

Thanks everyone for the help!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's excellent news. Thanks for the update. Did you get a gram scale? Am still recommending that so you can monitor her weight as a baby and then check her weight from time to time even when she has matured.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m glad Kiwis doing well!
It may have been pricey but like you say, it´s worth it. Money comes and goes, it´s not important.
You may fnid it helpful to jot the weights down in a little notebook :)