• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby Cockatiel with Inverted Leg

Misyan

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bianca
Hello!

I have two baby cockatiels with the same issue. They're about 2 weeks old. I've noticed that the oldest was stepping on their wing when they moved, so I picked it up to check and noticed that their right leg is sort of "inverted", bent upwards instead of downwards.

Their sibling also has the same issue, although in a lesser way. It looks like some sort of malformation? I've seen about splay legs, but it doesn't seem to be the case. They both can move their legs and can grip with their feet as well.

Their parents are both about 3 years old, not related and have had babies before, but never with any health issues. It's their first litter/brood in a few months since we removed the nest box for them to rest.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
Thank you all in advance!

IMG_20240321_170449.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That is a severe splayed leg. Head to the vet as soon as you can. The earlier vets can see the chicks the better chance of correcting it, even if just a little.

I knew a bird like this, they lived a good life but needed extra care, they did find a mate and bond but ultimately died young due to firework booms.