• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby cockateil weight

Cmomma

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, I got a baby cockateil on Monday, today is now Friday. I was told it was 5 weeks, but once seeing him, he appeared 2.5-3 weeks. The ‘breeder’ said to feed him once in the morning and once at night. His crop was full already so I did not feed until the following morning when it had emptied. He had a bit of an adjustment to feeds, but improved each time and has remained active. I started with a ratio of 1:5, and fed every 3 hours following his crop emptying. Yesterday I switched to 1:4 and he’s taking 15mls every 4-5 hours. However, his weight the last 3 days has decreased from 67g, to 64g, to 62/3g this morning. Since yesterday his poop appears the same but there is quite a significant ring of wetness around it on the paper towel(no coloring). He is also constantly begging for food now that he’s mastered eating, even when the feed finishes but his crop is full. Could anyone give me some insight as to what could be happening and if I should be doing anything different?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
1 part formula to 4 parts water?

This is a starving bird. Watery formula means they are ony getting water, not enough food. Wet poops, weight loss and constant begging for food are the signs of a hungry bird.

What formula is this? (brand name)
Most ratios are 1 part formula to 2.5 parts water. If you can tell us your brand of choice, I can find the accurate info.

Cmomma

1 part formula to 4 parts water?

This is a starving bird. Watery formula means they are ony getting water, not enough food. Wet poops, weight loss and constant begging for food are the signs of a hungry bird.

What formula is this? (brand name)
Most ratios are 1 part formula to 2.5 parts water. If you can tell us your brand of choice, I can find the accurate info.
Thank you so much for your reply. From the link shared above, I changed the ratio to form an applesauce consistency for yesterdays feedings, and his weight was 63g this morning. From your comment I changed the ratio to 1:2.5 for todays feeds but he seemed to struggle a bit with the thickness, so we took our time getting it down. He’s still begging for food though, poop wetness is reduced. I’m using Hagen tropican lifetime formula. Yesterday and today his feeds have been every 3-3.5 hours following his crop emptying. The recomended ratios I can find per their website is 80/20% for 7-21 day old, and 75/25% for 21 day+. I would estimate him at 22/23 days old today

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’m using Hagen tropican lifetime formula
The recomended ratios I can find per their website is 80/20% for 7-21 day old, and 75/25% for 21 day+. I would estimate him at 22/23 days old today
So that would be three parts water to one part powder. Which would make it a little wetter than the 2.5, as it would be 3.

poop wetness is reduced
that's good

He’s still begging for food though
It may take him a little time to adjust, hopefully by now things are stabilising.

Sorry it took me a while to reply here. But you did have the right info :)

Cmomma

So that would be three parts water to one part powder. Which would make it a little wetter than the 2.5, as it would be 3.

that's good

It may take him a little time to adjust, hopefully by now things are stabilising.

Sorry it took me a while to reply here. But you did have the right info :)
That’s okay! I really appreciate you helping. He has now been steadily gaining each morning, but still constantly begging for food if anybody’s around him. I’m so relieved he’s finally gaining weight. For spacing out the feeds, can I do that even though the crop is empty? Or do I just keep feeding once it’s empty and it will eventually slow down itself? That’s one thing I’m unsure of and can’t find out anywhere online or in videos

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
but still constantly begging for food if anybody’s around him
He could be seeking comfort. And cockatiels are known for their static begging noises even when fed.

For spacing out the feeds, can I do that even though the crop is empty? Or do I just keep feeding once it’s empty and it will eventually slow down itself?
Offer formula when the crop is almost empty and has just a little amount left. You don't want it to completely empty every time (that can lead to a hungry baby, malnutrition). It only has to completely empty one time per 24 hours.
What will happen is, as you offer adult foods, pellets, veggies etc he will not need as much formula because he is eating other things.
When you have dry food available to him, you must also put out a shallow bowl of water.
You will notice after he is eating these foods, that when it comes to the formula, he won't be able to eat 10% of his body weight in formula. After a few days of eating little during the day, you can remove one feed.
First feeds to go are the day feeds, so you will end up doing just morning and night (do a late morning, not early morning).
The next is the morning feed, you would then only feed just before bed to make sure their crop is full and will last the night.

Here is an article you can have a read of and print or save;