• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

baby caique help

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
that kind only goes up 10 degrees I think but that should help. He's feathered so he doesn't need too much heat.

I too am hoping one of the caique breeders will weigh in; otherwise we'll all have to muddle along together! If you want I can contact my breeder and ask questions, but not tonight as it's after 10 pm here.

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
Thank you so much for your help guys.
And finchly I would greatly appreciate that.

I'm coming down to the conclusion that raising a caique out of the clutch is very sensitive and cries alot more.

By the way the tank thermometer read 72 but the part where the heat pad was at was alot warmer. Given that it was there for about 5 hours.

I might buy the sun beam oone and move back to the plastic container then :o:

This is a wonderful community here

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
@painesgrey : it's that one exactly. It has no heat setting.
And I am not sure why the tank is not heating up. If get the sun beam heat pad will I be able to put in under the plastic bin I was first using ?

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
Can I tell how warm he is with the infrared gun as well? Or will it harm him?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nothing is wrong with using a terrarium. I used a 5 gal. with my red-bellied babies and put the heating pad under half of it. He is feathering out, though, and might not need much heat. I had more than one at a time so even though I had the heating pad they could keep each other warm and they were feathering out when I pulled them. It's important when you use any additional heat to monitor. If the bird has wings out and panting then he/she is getting too hot. If the baby is very fluffed then could be too cold.

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
Hey guys I'm back. Today I suspected unusual behavior from my caique. I was feeding him at 7pm for his last meal and he attacked my finger. He bite it hard and bobbed like he was trying to eat but he would not let got. This was after I gave him 15 ml of formula which I think is enough. He's only 110 Grams right now.

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
Update : the crying non stop continues until he hear silence for a good 10-20 minutes

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I am sorry that I havn't seen this until now.

80-85 degrees would be good. Caiques tend to like it warmer than most baby parrots. Since he has most of his feathers 80 is fine but he is alone so and has no one warm to snuggle with so if he is crying supplemental heat would be good.

I would also try feeding 10-15% of his body weight four times per day (since he is crying). More than at one time can cause problems. Try feeding four times a day with 8 hours overnight or space it out evenly at 6 hours between feedings. I prefer feeding four times during the day with an 8 hour break at night. It is important to let his crop empty fully overnight.

My first set of caique babies where not warm enough for a while and this lead to lots of trouble. The babies did not sleep well and they cried for food more often than warm, full babies do. Once, I got the temp and food correct them were much quieter and more content.

How is the baby doing today? Does he have a name?

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
May I ask how you had your source of heat set up?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I called a local parrot shop "A parrots cove" and I was told that baby caiques are extreme cry baby's naturally. And that they will keep bobbing for food even when their crop is full. Seems like a behavioral issue to me. We both might be wrong but that's the advice he told me. Of course I explained to him how I'm feeding him 3 times a day 15 ml each time etc.
As I said in my other post don't feed too much at one feeding. 15 ml it good at his current weight. Try adding one more feeding.

5 week old babies do not generally have "behavior problems". Baby birds are acting out of instint and communicating their needs much like a human baby does.

If you have a thermometer I would add that to the side of the tank at about the same height as the baby is located and you could cover the top about 80% to prevent heat from escaping. That way the heat will build up and warm up the tank.

Does your babies crop empty completely of food between feedings?

I track the weight at each feeding. I use syringes to measure the formula but you can weigh the baby before feeding and after, just write it down. In a few days you will have useful history. If all goes well then it is interesting and helpful. If you run into trouble then it will give you information which could be lifesaving. My friend who raises cockatiels and cockatoos and worked nearly 30 years in various jobs at a bird vet taught me the importance of tracking their food intake via weight.

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
Yes I am tracking his weight, he was given to me at 110 g in weight first thing in the morning.
So far I've fed him 15ml at 7am, 12pm, 7pm.

I have fed him up to 25 ml on accident because many sources said feed him until he stops crying for food. I notice he will start bobbing for food way past his food intake limit.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
May I ask how you had your source of heat set up?
I have a professional brooder but that is because I raise babies when they are still not feathered. Humidity is a major issue for really young caiques. Yours really is ready for a warm room but since he doesn't have a buddy the heat source is a good idea and will help.

This is the brooder that I have but you would not need anything this sophisticated for your guy.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Yes I am tracking his weight, he was given to me at 110 g in weight first thing in the morning.
So far I've fed him 15ml at 7am, 12pm, 7pm.

I have fed him up to 25 ml on accident because many sources said feed him until he stops crying for food. I notice he will start bobbing for food way past his food intake limit.
I would try and feed him more like 7 am, 12 pm, 6 pm and 11 pm or 12 am

How much wieght has he gained?

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
I've only had him for about 5 days. And I have measured him once in the morning. I'll measure him again. And 4 times 15 ml ?