• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

baby caique help

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
More sensitive to cold I think. I am not positive. You aren't showing ignorance sweetie, we all have had to go through the learning thing. He is a very cute baby and I would have tried to save him too -- but I am wondering if he is ill?

His poop looks fine to me....but you said something feels off. So maybe a vet checkup is in order.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would think that temp in the high 70s to mid 80s would be fine for his level of development. However, I do not breed caiques. Giving him an option to move in and out of a warmer area is a good idea. We usually shoot for feeding 10%-15% of their body weight. I'd probably not feed over 20cc but feed more frequently when crop is not quite empty or if it's been a few hours since the last meal and the baby is crying. If you feed on top of formula already in the crop, keep in Mind you might have to feed a little less at that meal. Some babies just cry a lot, but I'd feed more often for a few days just to see if that calms him down.

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
Maybe he's not sick maybe it is cold in here..
Okay this is what I've manage to buy today . This heating mat is not doing a good job of heating. It's been 20 minutes and it's at 72F

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Put the terrarium down on the table and put the heating pad underneath but only underneath half of it. I would get rid of the pine shavings and just use many layers of paper towels. You could do a towel layer and that put paper towels on top of it. I only used pine shavings in the nest box but not in the brooder but others might have used pine shavings. What kind of cover is on top of that? Is it solid or is it mesh so there is air going through? Make sure that there is a cover on the heating pad and if it didn't come with one wrap a towel around it.
I am sure others will give you more advice. I am only experienced with raising red-bellied parrot babies and not Caiques.

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
IMG_20180603_185557.jpg it's 8 watts but doesn't say how hot it gets.

And it won't burn the table over night ?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is the heating pad under @ 1/2 of the brooder? How many layers of paper towels do you have in there? If you still have issues with the baby you may want to take him to the vet.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think @Irishj9 bred and raised some Caiques.

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
I called a local parrot shop "A parrots cove" and I was told that baby caiques are extreme cry baby's naturally. And that they will keep bobbing for food even when their crop is full. Seems like a behavioral issue to me. We both might be wrong but that's the advice he told me. Of course I explained to him how I'm feeding him 3 times a day 15 ml each time etc.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What kind of heater is that? Are there different settings to control the amount of heat?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I called a local parrot shop "A parrots cove" and I was told that baby caiques are extreme cry baby's naturally. And that they will keep bobbing for food even when their crop is full. Seems like a behavioral issue to me. We both might be wrong but that's the advice he told me. Of course I explained to him how I'm feeding him 3 times a day 15 ml each time etc.
I'm hoping that someone who has raised baby Caiques will find their way to this thread and give you sage advice.

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
Me too and it's a small animal heating mat that sticks on the bottom of the terranium. What type would you suggest?

It's this one gclid:CjwKCAjwo87YBRBgEiwAI1LkqU7gLzGltlgcpuGH7mBEwnMneQHsfWKjdO9kbV7H12XMd8Ix3YaVEBoCHKcQAvD_BwE

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
It has no setting you just plug it in. That was the only time I can find in PetSmart.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used a regular heating pad which allowed me to adjust temperature to some extent. It wasn't this one but something similar: Sunbeam Standard Heating Pad | Walgreens I never used the high setting.
What temperature is the one you have pre-set to? How much heat does it give off?
Whatever you posted regarding what you purchased isn't a link.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
It has no setting you just plug it in. That was the only time I can find in PetSmart.

If it's this one, then it should operate at 100°F. This is lower than the K&H Bird Warmers (which operate at 102-109°F), so it shouldn't be too hot to the touch so as to burn, but will be too warm for a baby to be in direct contact with consistently. Thus, you'll want to have a layer of blankets or towels between it and the baby - adding and removing based on what the ambient temperature of the tank is. If you or someone you know has a temperature gun/infrared thermometer, you can use that to find out exactly how warm the surfaces in the tank are.