• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

baby caique help

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
I recently purchased a caique and it happened to be 5-6 weeks old. I was told he was older but clearly he is not. The man was trying to rehome him asap. So I picked him up. Here is the issue.
This white bellied caique cry's ALOT and doesnt stop. I've fed him 15ml of formula 3 times a day. I've double checked the temperature of the room at 75-85 F . I have given him all of my attention and he still crys. His formula was served at 105 F . When I out him in his area and leave he crys for about 20 minutes and then stops. When I first took him home he was not crying.

Attachments

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
He's a baby. Babies cry a lot. In the wild, they wouldn't be left alone at all.

I'm no expert, but I think three feedings a day might be a little low, too.

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
He needs to be on a heating pad still I would think. Their skin temp is much hotter than ours and he might be crying because he’s cold. Feel his skin. Does it feel warm? Or hot?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How much does he weigh in grams? You should have a gram scale and weigh him each morning on an empty crop. My feeling is that you are under feeding him but the best way to advise beginners on how much to feed is to go by the weight of the chick.
I've been told caiques are a little different and mature slow for the size of the bird. You might need to increase anount fed and try feeding 3-4 times a day or whenever the crop looks mostly empty. Let his crop empty completely for an hour or so at night, but otherwise feed when not quite empty through the day unless he starts refusing food.

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
I think he is good in temperature because it's about 78 F and he has a blanket still. The second day I got him I thought the same but I gave him 12cc he was crying bobbing for more food. I gave him 24 CC and still wanted more I stopped at 30cc because his crop was very full and I didn't want it to get too tight. But my God they really need more that 30 ml ? He kept bobbing for more food when I got near his head. My fear is he will continue to ask for food until his crop ruptures..

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
I should be getting the scale I ordered tomorrow.

For example, right now I took a nap for 2 hours, I haven't moved. He is quiet as a mouse. As soon as I move I can hear his screaming at the top of his lungs. But when I pick him up and spent 45 min trying to comfort him and stuff he continues to cry.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
78 may not be warm enough. Please take the advice you've been given = heating pad or heat lamp and more frequent feedings. don't try to feed more at once, just more often. Double up if needed.

Babies cry, it's what they do. He is confused and has lost his mother. Why did you take such a young one? Just curious. Caiques wean a lot better in groups so normally you don't get one until it is weaned. Someone will come along soon @Laurie maybe and tell you how often to feed. Pretty sure 3 is way under.

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
I will, the house was at 81F warm for 2 days. I'll continue to try a hotter temp. I tried following caique hand-nearing guides and I seem to be doing most of it right something just feels off. Like a behavioral issue. Oddley enough he is quiet in my car with his little box and paper shavings with my car AC turned on slightly.

I took him because the last guy was trying to get rid of him and I thought I could raise it like my GCC but they are way different birds. The last guy was hand feeding him with no clutch around. He was cared for as a single bird. No brothers or sisters at week 4 I think.

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
It seems to me it just likes to sleep all day without any disruption..

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
Does his stool seem unhealthy? I am feeding him the "exact formula" at 105F .
IMG_20180603_114401.jpg

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Perhaps Some white noise Will help? *if it is quiet when he cries* Perhaps it could be he feels something is off when it is quiet because in the wild it is almost never quiet, only at night and when danger is near:)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's very cute. @Laurie breeds Caiques so hopefully she will come by and give you more advice.
Weighing the little one is VERY important and it's good that you are getting a scale.
What type of brooder is he in? You can put a heating pad under 1/2 of the brooder and put a thermometer and hygrometer on the outside to monitor temperature and humidity. I used something similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Econ...r=8-6&keywords=hygrometer+thermometer+reptile My guys were in a 5 gallon terrarium and the bottom was layered with paper towels.
I kept a small stuffed toy in with my baby red-bellies.
It was always a stuffed banana because it didn't have any dangerous parts and it was easy for them to lie on.
Wishing you the best with your little one. Hope all will be well.

Marcoaaron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marco
I just got my scale right now he weights 121 g, I last fed him at 7:30 am. It's 2pm. I fed him 20 ml because he was crying so much and stopped there. I now know that at around 115-121g of weight give or take since he had a little bit of food in his crop he, should be getting 10-12 ml of warm formula. Boy he's going to throw a fit...

I'm sorry guys I'm really trying I feel bad showing ignorance. But I won't give up on this little Birdy. I love animals in general.