• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby bird vs. two kittens

Duel

Walking the driveway
So back in early June I had agreed with my cousin that he will be watching my bird while I'm gone for all of July. 2 days before I'm supposed to leave my bird at his place he decides to get 2 kittens that are very young because he saw that the shelter was giving them away for free was his excuse. It was too late to find someone else watch my bird while I'm gone so I had him agree to having the cage in his room and to not allow the kittens near it. While I'm still there we decide to observe how the kittens react to seeing him and after some staring both of them start trying to climb up to him so we picked them up and forced them out of the room. While I'm overseas my cousin gives me a call and says how he was watching one of the cats stick its nose onto the cage wall to sniff and that my bird suddenly rushed over and bit the cats nose and it ran straight out of the room and since hasn't dared to enter the room again and only watches from the door. As for the other kitten she didn't learn yet so a few days later I get another call saying how she was under his bed when he entered the room so he didn't know and while he was on his computer he heard her shriek loud and when he caught her in the room he saw that her paw had blood. At first he ran to the cage thinking it was my birds blood but saw that my bird was fine. He went back to his cat and saw that it was her paw that was bleeding cause my bird bit her hard (he was due for a beak trim soon so I guess it was a sharp bite). And so, both of his kittens didn't dare to enter the room for the rest of the time he was there. Was great to know that my little Snick handled 2 cats on his own though I doubt I'll be leaving him there next time I travel. Also he will be turning 1 year old exactly a week from today. Since I've come back he's been trying his best to get me to itch his head. As soon as my finger approaches him he instantly lowers his head for me to pet him.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'm glad that your birds appear to be okay but, quite frankly, I'd kick your cousin's behind & other parts as well. You have no way of knowing for sure that your bird is really ok and uninjured.

What part of "to not allow the kittens near it" was missed in translation? A cat sticking its nose to the cage bars is usually followed by a cat paw; the smaller the paw the greater the likelihood that your bird could have received a minor scrape, so invisible to you, but so deadly to Snick. It is not funny though that's how your post seems to be reading. I really, truly, hope you grow up a little soon for your bird's sake.

Duel

Walking the driveway
I'm glad that your birds appear to be okay but, quite frankly, I'd kick your cousin's behind & other parts as well. You have no way of knowing for sure that your bird is really ok and uninjured.

What part of "to not allow the kittens near it" was missed in translation? A cat sticking its nose to the cage bars is usually followed by a cat paw; the smaller the paw the greater the likelihood that your bird could have received a minor scrape, so invisible to you, but so deadly to Snick. It is not funny though that's how your post seems to be reading. I really, truly, hope you grow up a little soon for your bird's sake.
Oh believe me when he got the cats I gave him a slap to the neck and when I came back I quite literally carried him and was going to throw him into his pool if he didn't apologize. Either way I'm never leaving my bird at his place unless if it's a last resort.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Please don´t leave your bird there again.
You told him to keep the cats in a seperate room, yet;

he was watching one of the cats stick its nose onto the cage wall to sniff
Why would he just sit and watch?

Take your bird to the vet and just check he´s ok after all of this.
(Was there a question here? Sorry if I missed it.)

Duel

Walking the driveway
Please don´t leave your bird there again.

(Was there a question here? Sorry if I missed it.)
I'll only ever leave my bird there if it's last resort. Now paying for a pet place to watch over him is a better option than him and I know a few where I live. There was no question, just thought I'd share this.