• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby B&G Weaning questions

Captain50

Meeting neighbors
Posting in here may be better than Mac Avenue. So here it goes

After losing my 17 year old B&G:sad1:, I brought home a baby. His name is Sheldon.

I usually adopt adult rescues but this time I went a different direction. The shop/breeder is a good one, reputable but he is only 4.5 - 5 months old. The rest of his siblings seemed a lot less mature. They informed me they do not force wean and he has refused formula for about 2 weeks now while the rest of his siblings are still taking formula. He has been home with me for about 3 days now and is doing great, loves to play, move about his cage albeit slighly clumsily, loves to snuggle (trying to keep that to a respectable amount to not create a needy bird) but Im still slightly concerned about the weaning aspect.

Hes eating his pellet, seed, nut, dried fruit mix pretty well, and is taking to my veggie mash but I want opinions on if I took him home too soon, if he weaned too early, if he should still be handfed, should I still try handfeeding (I have no experience with that). All sorts of questions are rushing to my now and I want to make sure Im doing the right things.

He weighed 1.95lbs when I brought him home. Hes about 1.90lbs right now. Avian vet visit is in about 5 days (booked up sooner unfortunately).

Any tips, advice?

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That is a little early for a macaw to fully wean, but if he wants hand feedings he will let you know by begging. He's a cutie

Captain50

Meeting neighbors
That is a little early for a macaw to fully wean, but if he wants hand feedings he will let you know by begging. He's a cutie
I don't believe he's begged me for anything which is good.

Also, they gave him a trim on his primaries before going home. I am not happy about this at all. About 6 primaries on each wing. He spends a decent amount of time flapping and using his wings for balance, anything else I can do to make sure he's building muscle? I intend for him to be fully flighted and am a bit concerned with what mental and physical impact this trim will do.

Thanks

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I intend for him to be fully flighted and am a bit concerned with what mental and physical impact this trim will do.
It's a valid concern. You're breeder is not as good as you claim for this reason alone.

Captain50

Meeting neighbors
It's a valid concern. You're breeder is not as good as you claim for this reason alone.
Id have to agree. I am not pleased in the least. Am I (or him for that matter) pretty screwed here?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Time will tell. You're starting out behind the 8 ball.

I don't want to get into it. I'm a little disappointed in the route you took. Knowing what you know.

I usually adopt adult rescues but this time I went a different direction.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
No you aren't behind the 8 ball. Just make sure he has plenty of opportunity to learn to fly and that you encourage him when his feathers grow out. BTW a six feather clip is pretty extreme. While his wings are clipped you can encourage him to jump/fly to you.

Captain50

Meeting neighbors
Time will tell. You're starting out behind the 8 ball.

I don't want to get into it. I'm a little disappointed in the route you took. Knowing what you know.
If you have any advice on things to watch out for with the early weening, or suggestions on keeping his weened diet up and/or foods that are recommended, that would be appreciated. Most info I found online state that two weeks after weaning is usually safe, I am just not sure if that is general sentiment. Also looking for recommendations on ways to build confidence and strength with a semi clip. I am here to gather input into ways I can put the best foot forward.

As far as the young bird vs adoption, you may not want to get into it but I kind of resent that comment, so I will. My 5 parrots are all rescues, some planned, some dropped off at my door, some because I found in situations I couldn't turn my back to them. My last B&G had a disastrous life, he came from a bad environment, he was a plucker, a screamer, a swearer, and a biter. I spent countless hours a day over several years of my life rehabilitating him the best I could. Shortly after I curbed him of most behavioral problems and finally found the beautiful macaw underneath, one who was truly like a son to me, in an instant a dog rushed him and took him from me. It was like someone ripped out my heart, threw it on the ground, set it on fire then shot it with a shotgun. I was broken and went to therapy afterward. A bit later, my wife and I decided a macaw is a huge part of our life and we needed that piece in it but we just couldn't go down that road of rehabilitating another rescue, we needed a clean slate. So if that direction pisses you off, then okay, that is your opinion, its just the route that felt appropriate

Last edited:

Captain50

Meeting neighbors
No you aren't behind the 8 ball. Just make sure he has plenty of opportunity to learn to fly and that you encourage him when his feathers grow out. BTW a six feather clip is pretty extreme. While his wings are clipped you can encourage him to jump/fly to you.
Thats a good idea Hank! thanks. He is jumping from my lap to my desk. I will get out my trainer stands and start working on getting him comfortable jumping to each. Not sure why I didnt think of that.

My sentiment as well on the clip. I am pretty livid but already fell in love with the little guy.

Here's his poor clip

Attachments

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
we needed a clean slate. So if that direction pisses you off, then okay, that is your opinion, its just the route that felt appropriate
I am not pissed off in the slightest my friend. I said I was disappointed because there is no such thing as a clean slate when it comes to parrots. (as you now know because yours already has a crack). This journey will be no different than any of the others. That bird will still grow up and change when maturity hits. The only thing a baby guarantees is that someone made a little money to sell another one. I hope it all works out for you.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh man :laugh: Are you in for an awakening.

I have 9 macaws, 8 are rehomes but 2 I have had since babies. My babies are the MOST spoiled rotten thankless birds. ( I'm saying this in the sweetest way possible ) I actually train birds for a living and I own ALL their ..... Issues? Yes, I'll call them issues. :hilarious: Be ready for anything, man babies are nuts! My BG baby is now 5 years old and he hates my guts 50% of the day, he was my darling. My scarlet was my husband's baby, he hates my husband 100% of the day. :rolleyes: They are SO WACKO.

Get a scale and weigh your cutey every morning before he eats and after his first poop. Write it down in grams. Get the formula he was eating and be ready for him to beg or drop weight. Watch him eat and make sure he is doing well. Soaking pellets in warm water can also be a good transition food. Congrats! What a cutie.

Oh, and that trim is not so bad. You will be flying in less than a year, maybe sooner if he is strong enough and molts one or two feathers.

Captain50

Meeting neighbors
Oh man :laugh: Are you in for an awakening.

I have 9 macaws, 8 are rehomes but 2 I have had since babies. My babies are the MOST spoiled rotten thankless birds. ( I'm saying this in the sweetest way possible ) I actually train birds for a living and I own ALL their ..... Issues? Yes, I'll call them issues. :hilarious: Be ready for anything, man babies are nuts! My BG baby is now 5 years old and he hates my guts 50% of the day, he was my darling. My scarlet was my husband's baby, he hates my husband 100% of the day. :rolleyes: They are SO WACKO.

Get a scale and weigh your cutey every morning before he eats and after his first poop. Write it down in grams. Get the formula he was eating and be ready for him to beg or drop weight. Watch him eat and make sure he is doing well. Soaking pellets in warm water can also be a good transition food. Congrats! What a cutie.

Oh, and that trim is not so bad. You will be flying in less than a year, maybe sooner if he is strong enough and molts one or two feathers.
What does the typical begging for food look like in a Macaw?

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
OH, You'll know it! Pathetic! They look up and act like they are trying to gulp food down and squawk at you. Someone posted two videos recently. I can't find them but I believe they were YouTube videos.
@Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is Korbel's "Feed Me" video.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

Captain50

Meeting neighbors
Okay I don't see that, the most noise I get is usually this sound when I try to share a meal. He seems to mostly just want to sleep and wrestle with me or toys. Doesn't seem to be food oriented and sort of just graizesthroughout the day

Most of the day it's this, followed up by a nap

Last edited:

Captain50

Meeting neighbors

That's IT!!! That CHUG, CHUG-ing in the air is a dead Giveaway... and the SLOW bobbing, squawking, and fluffing... it's almost like they are courting you... Hungry Baby Mac's.
Hrmm occasionally he will get the slow head Bob up and down, kind of like an animatronic as seen at the very end of this video. Would this signal he's wanting a hand feeding or just hungry? I Want to make sure I'm covering all bases and not denying him if he is indeed not fully weaned or regressed. I've offered him soft veggie mash with soft pellets and baby food sweet potatoes by spoon but he doesnt rrally want it, he just goes for his hard nut seed pellet food instead. Im hoping this is a signal that he is/has really weaned himself.(and that I'm just over thinking it all )

I'm sorry if folks are sick of vids but I got a few of these day and I'm a proud papa. I'm hoping this will help overcome the trauma of the feather clip and help build muscle. (Dont worry that cage is just used as a stand lol)

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm hoping this will help overcome the trauma of the feather clip and help build muscle.
Yes it will, that is perfect training to build fly muscles. The most important thing is to keep him with that confidence that he can fly, so no need to extend the distance. This is perfect.

And good luck with him, and continue posting videos and pic, we all like that on this forum! ♥
And I'm also very sorry for your loss. I hope that Sheldon will bring you joy in your life again. :)