• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Babies in arrive

Kevin V

Moving in
Real Name
Kevin Vassallo
About eight weeks ago two lovebirds hatched and they are fine now. I left them in the same cage with their parents (the cage is big enough). Now i think that in near future some eggs are going to be layed again. Do you think i need to remove the two small birds when she lay the eggs? Thanks

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi Kevin.

You should remove the young from their parents now. Only house 2 lovebirds per cage.
You can put the young in a large flight cage if they don´t pair up then move one out to their own cage. Remember, it´s not right to let brother/sister breed so if you let them pair up, remove any eggs from them in the future. Also, not all brother/sister relationships survive past sexual maturity. So monitor them closely.
Don´t feel bad about removing the birds, keep the cages in the same room and allow shared out of cage time, they could still remain as a family unit. But they do need their own homes.
Keep in mind, if those young birds are there when you hen lays, she will attack them and could kill them.

Also, Your birds are not the same species, so all babies are hybrids. If you give them away or sell them, you must disclose that.
It is not recommended to allow your birds to create hybrids.

Last edited:
Reactions: tka

Kevin V

Moving in
Real Name
Kevin Vassallo
Thanks for the reply.. So if i understood i have to remove the young ones and put them in a flight cage so they will be safe. If the parent will lay and some eggs hatch, when the new ones will be indipendant i can put them in the flight cage with the other two?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
i have to remove the young ones
They are now eating alone correct? If the young birds can eat alone, they can go in a cage along side their parents. I let my young birds out with their parents, still do :)
Remember, the nest must be removed now. Once the chicks fledge the nest (which I know yours will have at this age) remove the nest so that the parents don´t try to breed again too soon.

If the parent will lay
If they lay again, you could remove the eggs if you don´t want more chicks. Boil, allow to cool and put back or you can buy dummy eggs (fake eggs).
I do not recommend breeding difference species together.

the new ones will be indipendant i can put them in the flight cage with the other two?
If you do decide to allow your birds to breed again (which I hope you reconsider) the chicks once fledged will need their own cage.

The rule for lovebirds is only 2 bonded birds in a cage. So if you have two birds that are not bonded they cannot be housed together. 3 lovebirds cannot be housed together. 4 lovebirds cannot be housed together.
1 bird alone or 2 bonded birds are the only options unless you have an aviary the size of a garage.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Do you think i need to remove the two small birds when she lay the eggs? Thanks
Yes of course. Then you should replace any further eggs with fakes. Simply because now you have young sibling birds that aren't going anywhere unless you're selling them (if you are even more reason to stop breeding them) This complicates the dynamic because everyone is the same bloodline.

You can get your fakes here.

DummyEggs.com, Dummy Eggs Help Stop Egg Laying in Pet Birds! Fake Eggs, Solid Plastic Eggs in all sizes.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cute family :)

Be sure to remove the nest box too. You can put it back once you find an egg.

You can put the new cage right next to this one so that the little ones can see their parents.
When you let them out to fly they can be together, but their own homes are their safe spaces.

I just posted about my family, I have mum and dad, and son and daughter and they still have a strong bond but they haven´t lived together in about 11 months. The little ones go right to their parents cage when I let them out The Blue Team | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

You understand what I said about hybrids yes?
They are usually somewhat confused birds, it is not good to breed them. You will benefit more from just enjoying the family you have now.

Also, there is always the possibility that any new chicks may not be accepted in their flock and could be attacked/harmed by the other siblings during fly time. They are not worth any money either because they are hybrids.
If you can´t find dummy eggs in your country, you can boil the fresh eggs, let them cool down and then put them back in the nest.

Kevin V

Moving in
Real Name
Kevin Vassallo
Thanks for your reply... Am i right to say that they are one masked and three fischers?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Am i right to say that they are one masked and three fischers?
No.
You have one Personatus (Black masked), one Fischeri (Fischer´s) and two P/F Hybrids

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
She said they are hybrids. So - no. If the masked is a parent bird, they're Fischer X Masked.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sorry @Zara we posted at the same time!

Kevin V

Moving in
Real Name
Kevin Vassallo
Yes the masked is the mother and the two chicks are hybrids.