• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Babies are here!!!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Now I'll have to go and find a photo of a royal purple guinea hen. I always loved the noise they make versus that of "regular" chickens.

Yours will look more like this?

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
yup they will look exactly like that. thats how their mom looks.Dads a coral blue but never has had a baby look like him. The only way one could tell the babies are split to something else is because some have ashy grey faces. while pure R. purples have creamy white faces.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I have already made a video but I dont have a youtube account. I'll look into making one.
@SandraK Yes thats what they will look like, only the picture you posted is of a pearl guinea. These babies are Royal Purples. A lot of people think they don't look cute as adults but I think they are adorable. I guess Im a bit biased. lol.
You have a right to be biased you're their "chicken granny" if you will.

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
An update on the keets! They are about a month old now and have almost fully feathered. Of all 19( the little egg we brought in hatched with some assistance) we found homes for 9 so ten are left. They aren't too tame which is a bummer but can be expected since they are parent raised but they do let us near them. We are in a strict hands off relationship, I guess. Anyway, here are some pics! image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Here are some pics when Cloudy, their dad, alerted of a suspected airborne predator. One thing I love about Guineas is they always alert everyone of predators, even the bunny has learned to run and hide when they sound the call while he is out. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So cute!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Very, very cute even if they're not huggable. What do you call the thing on the top of the adults' heads? It doesn't look soft like a chickens comb - it almost looks like bone. Something like a smaller version of the bone on top of a cassowary's head.

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
@SandraK Its called a helmet, lol. I do think its bone. I always thought guineas were very similar to cassowary's, they even look similar:lol: